Message if you don't have enough space for installation

I had problems installing because there wasn’t enough space on the virtual machine for discourse, I tried to have a look to see if this is an existing issue but I can’t find anything.

How easy would it be to add a quick check before running the install script to check that there is enough space?

I could put in a pull request if it would be easy / generally helpful.

2 Likes

We already do

https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker/blob/master/discourse-setup#L54

Maybe it’s not working in your VM?

4 Likes

Hmm. The script currently checks that there is 5GB available. Did you have more than that, and if so, was it not enough? Is it possible that the VM lied about how much space was available?

On an install I did today, Discourse, Docker, and the OS (Ubuntu 16.04) take up 6.6GB. Discourse itself is 75MB. /var/lib/docker is 4.4GB. 5GB seems like a pretty reasonable requirement.

4 Likes

Hmm, thats very odd.

It was an 8GB AWS Ubuntu 16.04 instance, which had some other things installed on it, I still have the snapshot if there is anything helpful I can do to debug it.

Increasing the space made it work, so I’m pretty confident it was the space that was the issue, but I’m not sure why this script didn’t work.

Thanks for the help.

Did you have less than 5gb space available?

I’m not sure how much space was left before installing, I didn’t think to check, but after running ./discourse-setup df -h gives

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            476M     0  476M   0% /dev
tmpfs           100M  4.7M   95M   5% /run
/dev/xvda1      7.8G  6.1G  1.4G  82% /
tmpfs           496M     0  496M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           496M     0  496M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/loop0      145M  145M     0 100% /snap/rocketchat-server/451
/dev/loop1       77M   77M     0 100% /snap/core/888
tmpfs           100M     0  100M   0% /run/user/1000

Could you edit and use three grave accents at the beginning and three at the end of the df -h output? Will make it more legible.

Nah just indent by 4 spaces, much easier.

2 Likes

So you have over a GB left. Is this the image you say was broken because of disk space?

Sorry I’ve been out of the the country for a few days.

Yes this is the one which is broken.

Here is a gist of running sudo ./launcher rebuild app https://gist.github.com/JohnGinger/a3a3ea29d96e0d09d70f093fc33129b4