Meta.Discourse not working on out of date Brave browser

I upgrade my version of Discourse yesterday & it broke on Brave (Ubuntu 20.04) with the following console error:

r.replaceAll is not a function

So I went through all the normal troubleshooting steps of turning off all of the plugins, turning off all browser extensions & doing a complete rebuild.

Even with all of the above I’m still getting a blank screen & the console error.

Today visiting using Brave desktop browser returns an identical error to my Discourse site:

Uncaught TypeError: r.replaceAll is not a function
    at ce (plugin-api.js:1788)
    at e.value (plugin-api.js:269)
    at onebox-decorators.js:48
    at e.withPluginApi (plugin-api.js:1756)
    at Object.initialize (onebox-decorators.js:47)
    at Object.i.initialize (app.js:46)
    at index.js:144
    at e.each (dag-map.js:231)
    at e.walk (dag-map.js:145)
    at e.each (dag-map.js:75)
    at e.topsort (dag-map.js:83)
    at n._runInitializer (index.js:158)
    at n.runInstanceInitializers (index.js:142)
    at n._bootSync (instance.js:110)
    at n.didBecomeReady (application.js:691)
    at t.invoke (backburner.js:371)
    at e.t.flush (backburner.js:263)
    at e.t.flush (backburner.js:470)
    at e.n._end (backburner.js:1044)
    at e.n.end (backburner.js:730)
    at e.n._run (backburner.js:1099)
    at e.n._join (backburner.js:1073)
    at e.n.join (backburner.js:790)
    at f (index.js:179)
    at HTMLDocument.<anonymous> (index.js:283)
    at u (jquery.js:3766)
    at c (jquery.js:3834)

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?


I’m seeing this error in logs starting yesterday’s upgrade in massive amounts.

r.replaceAll is not a function


What Brave version? v1.36.112 ?

1 Like

Version 1.7.98 Chromium: 81.0.4044.113 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Which is the latest update (I think).

1 Like

That one is quite old, and probably insecure by today: Release v1.7.38 · brave/brave-browser · GitHub

Latest is v1.36.112, try updating.

1 Like

Interesting, thank you for the prompt!

I’ve become complacently used to having software on Ubuntu update automatically, especially the browsers & simply hadn’t checked that my version of Brave was updating.

I ran a manual update & it worked:

sudo apt install apt-transport-https curl
sudo curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg
echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=amd64] stable main"|sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade brave-browser

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.