Missing font icon on new dev installation

Hi all.

I am discovering Discourse.
I have just installed it (v2.2.0.beta9 +83), for testing purpose for now.
I used the 30mn quick installation through docker, with the standalone sample.

I couldn’t set the email smtp right, but I could find help to activate my account in the database (update email_tokens set confirmed=true where email=‘myemail’) and I could log then. I am precising this just in case it were linked to my actual issue.

I could setup the wizard, and chose the light blue theme proposed by default. No plugin, extension, customization at all : I just try to install and test discourse.

The problem is : I have no icon at all in all the website, except for the personal icons I have uploaded during the wizard.

If it can be of help :

• My computer is on Windows 10
  • I have a VirtualBox installed with Ubuntu 18
  • Docker and Discourse are installed in this Ubuntu
  • Because the DISCOURSE_HOSTNAME is mandatory during the setup, I have set it to localhost:8080
  • I have a redirection of the Ubuntu guest 8080 towards the Windows host 80 so that I can test in my host Chrome browser

I could use some help because the website is quite ugly without all the font awesome icons!

Thanks

Remove the redirection and set the port to 8080 in the rails console.

2 Likes

Ok thank you Régis, I will first pass to “localhost” only and test in the guest browser to check if it can solve this font issue. If yes, I will see how to :

• connect to rails console (seems to be rails c)
  • change the port
    PS : I’m a developer from the nodejs ans scala worlds, it is my first time on a ruby environment :slight_smile:

Yup, the rails console is rails c and you can set the port with SiteSetting.port = 8080 (Discourse specific).

That’s it, it was the redirection between host and guest which cut the fonts.
Thank you very much Régis ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes