Moderator Extension

I’ve done a significant reworking of this plugin. I’ve changed it’s name to “Moderator Extension” to reflect a change of scope to include a variety of modifications to moderator functionality.

@hawk or @jomaxro could you update the topic title to “Moderator Extension”? Thanks.

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-moderator-extension/commit/098adbba5159fe5ad47edc1ec0284a7768daaa42

The highlights of the changes are:

• All moderator administration is now in /admin/users in a new “Moderation” section that appears if a user is a moderator. Like other settings in /admin/users, admins have read/write permissions and moderators have read permissions.

• Moderators (currently) have two ‘types’: default and filtered. The key attributes of each of type is listed next to the ‘Type’ setting.

• Default:

• Standard Discourse moderator
    • Filtered:

• Will only receive notifications and reminders about flags and queued posts for assigned categories.
      • Lists of flags and queued posts will be filtered by assigned categories.
      • Has all other powers of a standard Discourse moderator.
  • Moderators can now be assigned to multiple categories using the ‘Categories’ setting (see above screenshot). The significance of assignment to a category depends on the moderator type (see above descriptions).

• When category assignments are filtering a moderator action list, like the flag lists, the filtering categories are listed.

• As the description of the types states, all flag and queued post notifications and the reminder messages will reflect the moderator’s category assignments. This was true in the previous version, however this logic has been significantly upgraded to handle assignments to multiple categories.

• You can now display a list of moderators assigned to a category above the topic list(s) for that category. There are both site-wide and category-specific settings for this.

Screenshot%20at%20Mar%2002%2020-47-18

Additional features contemplated:

• ‘Restricted’ Moderator Type. The deeper I got into this plugin, the more ambitious I got. A
    ‘restricted’ moderator type feels more doable now that I’ve laid some more of the groundwork. Something like:

• Restricted (not currently implemented):

• Will only receive notifications and reminders about flags and queued posts for assigned categories.
      • Lists of flags and queued posts will be filtered by assigned categories.
      • Powers concerning categories, topics, users and posts are restricted to assigned categories.

The last item still contains a lot of work, i.e. most of the functionality described in “Authority” section of the Category Specific Moderators spec. I wouldn’t hold your breath for that spec to be fully implemented.

Maybe there’s an interim type somewhere between ‘Filtered’ and ‘Restricted’.

• Settings to control which admin routes are available to moderators

• Category-specific moderator groups.

note: @ewanly (any existing moderator category assignments you made will be respected in the new system).

cc @Heather_Dudley

11 Likes