Moderators, trust level, and seeing IP addresses

Howdy, I have a question regarding permissions. We had a staff rank on our old forums that had all the abilities of trust level 4 + banning (without seeing ips) which worked perfectly for us for privacy reasons. However, moving over to discourse we can’t seem to find a rank that does that. Trust level 4 can’t ban and moderator can see IPs, so like am I missing something? or is that all there is in terms of permissions?

2 Likes

In terms of permissions, that is all there is.

1 Like

Is there absolutely nothing I can do to change that? ughhhhhh :frowning:

What’s the big deal about seeing IPs? Moderators need to see IPs to do their jobs.

1 Like

Each community has their own way of doing things but I do wonder, if they can’t be trusted with IP addresses should they be moderators?

When you say DDOS, are we talking about specific co-ordinates attacks on other community members dynamically assigned IPs?

1 Like

I disagree to the point that I say that it is often crucial that a Moderator be able to see a members IP

Not so much for initial “corrective guidance” actions, but most definitely one of the many things that should be evaluated before a more severe action is taken.

3 Likes

I’m not going to argue with you, since in most forum communities, moderators do need to see IPs. Everyone is different though, which is what you need to understand here. In our case, we don’t want our moderators having access to that because there is simply no reason for them to have that ability (as Dream said). Our forum mod’s day to day activities involve locking threads, deleting threads, temp ban/ban and engaging in our community. In my eyes, if it’s not part of their duties as a forum mod, why give them that permission?

I’ve been in this community for many years now, and both Dream and I have watched several outstanding and trustworthy members in our community that have been trusted with these perms go “rogue” and end up dropping every one of our IPs, eventually being DDoS’d or doxed. It’s a sad reality we have to face, which is why we want to limit that possibility as much as we can.

How difficult would it be adding a simple checkbox in admin settings that toggles the option of moderators viewing IPs? I’m sure some of us would really appreciate that feature and I hope you guys understand where we are coming from!

1 Like

You might be able to hide these elements that show IP with CSS in Admin / Customize; that’s about all I can think of at the moment.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that remove it for admins as well?

Yeah but presumably admins would know how to un-hide it via CSS as well.

For example comparing IP to check for duplicate accounts

1 Like

Is this still the case? Can moderators still see IP addresses or has there been an update since 2016 that means you can hide this functionality?

Moderators can still see IPs.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know!

Hi, any news on that point ?
Has a plugin been coded, or a new feature ?

Hi luz,

There is nothing new on this yet. Moderators are still able to view IPs. I am not aware of any plugins or new features at this moment in time.

Have a nice day :sunny:

4 Likes