More & granular privacy for user profiles and fields

It could be helpful to enable end-users of forums to have some say over what information is displayed on their profiles on a granular level, and to set their profile to not be indexable.

Please note I am new to Discourse/Ruby/Ember and I haven’t got much technical knowledge yet in how things work ‘under the bonnet’ so I hope this makes sense and is clear enough to explain my thoughts!

Some use cases of this are, for example, if I have a forum with a certification level custom field which is mandatory and which is set to display by global config, but some users may prefer this to be:

• Private to staff only
  • Visible to logged in users only
  • Visible to certain trust levels only
  • Public (no change from global config)

Another example might be for health-related fields where members choose to share that information only with trusted members of the community at a certain trust level or higher, or just with the staff of the forum, and do not want their profiles to be indexed.

I would envisage this could be applied to any/all fields by having the following:

• System setting to allow users to determine visibility of field/s
  • Field setting to prevent users overriding in the case where the admins wish to set the visibility and NOT allow overriding (or a global white-list of fields which the user can override if this is easier to manage)
  • Front-end profile edit field enabling the user to set the privacy level for the fields they can control in this way
  • Front-end themes check if the field has privacy set to show/not show when rendering profiles (could apply to cards as well?)

I think this is what was being requested in this post: Privacy settings on the user's profile page - it could also be complemented by a ‘set no-index’ flag which the user could edit if given permission to do so.

Feel free to comment if anything is unclear!

2 Likes

I have a client with a similar need (Hide Bio, location, and website unless member of specific group). They want to control which users can share profile information.

A work-around for your part of your situation would be to have a public and a private certification level field. Users could include it in the private required field and put it in the public field if they so chose. It wouldn’t be that much more difficult to enter it twice than to have a checkbox that said who could see it. That doesn’t solve the logged-in/trust level part, though.

@pfaffman thanks for chiming in and for the suggestion.

Yeah, could take that approach, but scale that to a community of thousands and that’s rather unacceptable duplication of data not to mention error prone/frustrating and like you point out, not addressing the trust level/logged in bit :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed it might be something that would be useful and considered as a request!

You’ll need a plugin to solve this problem, at least in the short term.

We have this now:

So I assume show on public profile / card already covers staff only.

I guess the only other levels of fidelity you are after is “visible to minimum trust level” (which covers both logged in and TLs)

I would actually recommend a simpler change here that covers a wider case of use cases:

[ ] Restrict visibility to groups
[ multi group selector]

I think we are fine with this, cause I can see it used in plenty of use cases, not scheduled for any release yet, but something we are open to.

7 Likes

Check robots.txt and you will find that user pages are already excluded from web spider indexing by default.

3 Likes

For the record, I like this pattern in general and would like to see it used more widely. One example where I think this could be helpful is on the groups page for “who can message” and “who can mention” a group.

2 Likes

And just to reiterate, what my client needs is the ability to apply that setting per group, and not let the user decide. He wants only privileged people to be able to make their contact info (and so on) public. I think that I’ve solved that problem by hiding those fields so that users in the non-privileged group can’t set those fields (by hiding with CSS), but having it in the UX would be cleaner.

1 Like

What I mean by the option regarding fields showing on profiles is that it might be globally set to show on public profiles, but allowing an option to permit users to override this and choose to hide the field and/or restrict to trust levels.

The first part (a setting to say whether users could override the global setting) would be a great start, guessing the latter (exposing trust levels and allowing the user to say which trust levels can see the fields) might be a bit more tricky to implement.

So in summary, it’s about giving administrators the opportunity to hand the user the flexibility to control the privacy of the information on their profile, on a field-by-field basis.

Hope that makes it clearer!

3 Likes

I see, I understand your use case here but it would be a very very complex change.

I would like to see global permissions implemented first and do not really feel the per-user permission thing is something we will be building into core any time soon (multiple years out, if ever).

I think your best bet, if you need this now, is to build a custom plugin for this.

4 Likes

Does anyone know if the world has changed since this thread? @pfaffman @sam. We have just gone live so the bespoke fields have already been established but we now have a request for bespoke fields only to be visible to others above a certain trust level. Is this still plugin territory or is there an alternative solution? Thank you

1 Like

Sorry, no the world has not changed since, best bet is a plugin remains the current state of affairs.

2 Likes

If you’re satisfied for them not to be displayed (rather than not in the payload) you can do that fairly easily with CSS. If you want to make them private you’ll need to do work to change the serializer.

3 Likes