Most “traditional” or classic forum Category listing

I really appreciate how Discourse allows category listing on the home page. Just want to know whether there is an option to list categories and subcategories in conventional manner

(Joe) #2

Search for desktop_category_page_style in site settings. This allows you to set the style for the categories page.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by conventional here?

By conventional, I meant the UI that forums like phpBB offer. I would even go with NodeBB like boxed category listing, if possible.

I don’t have a Discourse forum right now. It would be great if you can give me a screenshot of category listing currently available with Discourse. Thanks.

(Joe) #4

Categories only looks like this:

And if you have subcategories they would show there as well:

Here’s a list of some Discourse sites you can look through for some ideas

Additionally, Discourse themes pretty much allow you to change / tweak everything with to your liking including creating a boxed category listing.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

The most traditional is Categories with Featured topics.

Awesome :heart:

Is it possible to change the homepage layout as a whole ? What should we be editing ?

It’s an honour to meet you. Never thought you would help people with queries on a forum. Discourse team is humble :slight_smile:

(Joe) #8

The “homepage” depends on your site settings. In any case, I think what you’re looking for is the templates Discourse uses. You can find those here

you can either add new things to a template using its plugin outlets:

or completely overwrite it using something like:

<script type="text/x-handlebars" data-template-name="foo">
{{! go wild here}}
</script>

where foo is the name of the template you want to override exluding the file extension or .hbs and its path relative to the templates folder.