Moving Discourse from Subdomain to Subfolder

14 Case Studies to back up the assertion that moving from subdomain to subfolder increases search traffic.

I have a root domain with better authority. Can I switch Discourse to a subfolder? :thinking:

Is there any specific issue? Please show me right way.

On one Droplet, I want to keep like this …

https://example-wordpress-application.com/discourse/

Root Domain = WordPress
Subfolder = Discourse

2 Likes

Just as a warning,
We keep listening this again & again but there have never been a real advantage of having a subfolder install.

It makes things complicated and difficult to manage

1 Like

I have a background in several scientific technologies so what I would consider to be significant data based on valid “case studies” may be much more demanding than all of the SEO “evidence” I have ever seen. I have yet to see any SEO evidence that convinced me that what Google representatives themselves have said is not correct.

Anyway, can an app be in a sub folder of another app? In many cases, sure. Potential pitfalls that come to mind are:

• HTTP routing issues
  • filesystem path issues
  • naming clashes
  • dependency incompatibilities

When App1 and App2 are separate, if there is a problem with one the other will be unaffected. But when App1 and App2 are not separate, a problem in either can break both.

5 Likes

I am afraid now. Thinking to discontinue this thought.

Do not believe the SEO snake oil salesmen. :snake:

If you want traffic, generate interesting, useful content for a long period of time. Literally nothing else matters.

7 Likes

Thanks for the honest response. :pray:

Thanks everyone.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.