Multilingual Plugin šŸŒ

Wouldnā€™t the Translate plugin handle that since the About description is actually treated as a topic.

2 Likes

This is not quite what you need for a multilingual forum. The category page will display the description without translation. At the same time, additional calls through the API through Google Translate require more costs.

2 Likes

This is currently being worked on by @merefield.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a good news. Will the plugin be able to translate subcategories with multiple levels of nesting?

1 Like

I have another question. Will the category URLs be different for each language or the same?

1 Like

This plugin caused a serious error when upgrade discourse to newest core ( 2.9.0.beta7)
Discourse can not work until I remove this plugin.

Could you check this, please?
@Angus McLeod

1 Like

A PR to resolve the critical issue was merged yesterday.

Apologies for the instability, this plugin has had some very significant work done over last month or so.

This work is now largely complete.

7 Likes

Slugs are not affected

1 Like

After the many improvements to this plugin in the past months (thank you!), the language tags donā€™t appear on the /tags page. Frankly, I donā€™t remember whether they appeared before, nor I know whether this is expected, accidental, or just a configuration glitch in our forum.

The request to show language tags on the /tags page has been requested by one of our users on Show language tags on the Tags page - Forum improvements - Movement Strategy Forum

2 Likes

Hello, does this plugin support Kazakh language (Kk)? I am asking this question because discourse does not support Kazakh language

It will. Thereā€™s a known issue currently that custom languages wonā€™t upload. Iā€™ll work on that as soon as I can get chance. Unfortunately paid work has to take priority atm.

If this is really important to you and you canā€™t wait, you can fund me to prioritise it.

In communication with you, I use Google translator. So I want to clarify. Do you mean that you could work on adding the Kazakh language to the translator (or discourse)?

Iā€™m talking about being able to manually add a Custom Language. Nothing is automated, youā€™d have to upload the translations yourself from a file (once Iā€™ve fixed the bug).

There maybe a more automated solution not involving just this plugin @angus.

Sorry, Iā€™m not a technical person, so I donā€™t understand the meaning of the phrases ā€œmanually addedā€ and ā€œload yourself from a fileā€. I need to understand: will the Kazakh language be supported by the plugin after installation on the forum, or do we need to make any additional plugin settings ourselves?

The plugin allows you to create locale file and upload it as a Custom Language. You must do all the preparation of that locale file yourself.

Unfortunately, there is a bug preventing you from doing this atm. The bug only affects unsupported languages.

1 Like

Link marked yellow leads to the article with dead images.

Links/images marked read are dead completely.

hello !
iā€™ve used the plugin to translate category names and descriptions, and the translation is working while in an account, but if the user is disconnected, the base language of the forum is used, and not the chosen language, even by changing the locale with the menuā€¦
is there a fix possible ?? ty !!

1 Like

thanks for the report.

The guest switcher should work. Do you see an error in the browser console?

hello !

the locale switcher does work for the UI, but not for the custom translation, uploaded with the yml file when disconnected, and the preferences are not set :confused:
For instance :

Logged off - french locale

Logged off - German locale

Logged on - German locale (set in account parameters)

Also, would it be possible to set content preferences when a user is logged off ??

tysm !!!

also, while i took the screenshots, i looked at the html and cookies sent to the server :

• The lang tag has the value lang='fr' even when switching with the guest switcher
  • The variable being changed when the site reloads is discourse_locale

Hope that can help !