Multilingual Plugin šŸŒ

Hey all, thanks for your patience on this plugin. Iā€™ve now

1. Fixed the various issues that were arising when using the plugin with the latest code
  2. Updated the frontend and backend tests to support the new code
  3. Integrated it into our CI system to monitor any issues going forward
  4. Re-added it to try.thepavilion.io

try.thepavilion.io is Pavilionā€™s public staging site thatā€™s updated to the latest discourse every 24 hours. You can see for yourself whether the issue youā€™re interested in is addressed there, and test the feature set. For example if you have you content languages set to French and Italian, and your interface language (aka locale) set to French, youā€™ll see this

Iā€™ve closed some old issues on the repo, and asked for the recently created ones (the feature requests in any event) to be submitted at thepavilion.io. Please report any further issues, or make any feature requests using the bug report or feature request wizards on thepavilion.io.

4 Likes

An error occurs in the console on the plugin page - /admin/multilingual/languages
Uncaught Error: There is no route named tags.show

And the changes are not saved (Internal Server Error)

1 Like

Hello @angus,
I have problem on my fresh self-hosted discourse. Every time when I push save changes I get blank modal with ā€œInternal Server Errorā€ title. After hit ok, the plugin page is blank, but settings are saved.
Next, when I try to add other language to exist, the checkboxes which was previously checked after save are uncheck. So when I want to add a new language I must uncheck everything, save, and now check this one which I want.
Also I sometimes notice the settings reset to default just after night.

1 Like

Iā€™ve merged in an update from vcoffey (sorry Vern, couldnā€™t find you here), whoā€™s supported by @oreillyc. Iā€™ve also made various updates to the plugin today.

@hiddenlucas Please upgrade and test it again. If you have any further issues please fill out a bug report here: Bug Report

You can test this plugin here: https://try.thepavilion.io/

2 Likes

Hello,

Is this a bug or on purpose ?

Screenshot from: https://try.thepavilion.io/ but I have the same problem.

The language tag is not appearing in the tag dropdown menu making it difficult to filter topics using the tag. The reason I found is simply because the anchor is missing from the list item: <a data-tag-name="en" class="discourse-tag box">en</a>

If you add it it displays properly:

1 Like

Thanks, thatā€™s been addressed. See: https://try.thepavilion.io

3 Likes

Hi @angus,

Is it possible to select specific interfaced languages that will be shown in the guest language switcher (at header)? Currently the switcher will show many languages in the drop down menu. I didnā€™t find the code that controls the languages. Any guide will be appreciated.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve addressed the various compatibility issues with this plugin. Please update the plugin and discourse and it will work as expected.

4 Likes

Hey there,

Thanks first of all for all the amazing work.

I have installed and enabled this and the discourse translator plugin on a new forum. The translation API works fine, but I was under the impression, that it would be possible with this plugin to automatically display translated posts that are not spoken by a user, in their respective language - automatically.

Basically, in an ideal world with ideal translations, a person talking only French would browse the forums (which are, letā€™s say, in English), and see everything as written in French.

Did I understand the functionality wrong? Is this not possible to achieve with this plugin?

3 Likes

To everyone who has reached out to me recently about getting category and tag translations to work, i.e. the features described here:

Youā€™ve reached out at the right time :slight_smile: A client of Pavilionā€™s is actually looking to get that functionality working on current Discourse so @merefield and I will be working on it in May/June. Weā€™ll post an update here when itā€™s ready.

This is not currently a feature of the plugin, but it could be added in the future. Please see the documentation on this, in particular the bolded part below. That is what the integration with the Translator plugin currently does.

Discourse Translator sync

If you have:

1. the Discourse Translator Plugin installed;
  2. the Translator Plugin enabled;
  3. the Multilingual Plugin enabled; and
  4. content languages enabled

you can enable multilingual translator content tag sync (you wonā€™t be able to enable it unless all four things are true).

The sync automatically applies the detected language of posts in a topic as content languages, as long as the detected language matches a content language enabled on your site.

9 Likes

Hi,

When I activate this plugin, my old tags have error ā€œInternal server errorā€
I have this error when check to choose tags in editor for new post.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll take a look at this tomorrow and get back to you.

2 Likes

I also found some problems with tags here:

2 Likes

@cmdntd This issue has been addressed, and the plugin is safe to use again. Thanks for your report.

7 Likes

Hi,

When I use this plugin, option ā€œforce lowercase tagsā€ is failed.
I do not check this option, but all tags are changed to lowercase text.

Could you check this, please?

2 Likes

Hi, I set option ā€œmultilingual require content language tagā€

But it is just required for me (admin). It do not require other users for language tag.
Could you check this, please?

I 've checked again. It is ok now

3 Likes

Glad you figured it out :+1:

Just a note that @merefield is working on this plugin right now, both bug-fixes and the Custom Translations features. This work is due to be completed by the end of June.

3 Likes

OK, language fans, we have merged a couple of fixes, and hope the plugin is more useful now:

Those that wanted support for languages with mixed-case codes should now have it:

@4ong please confirm if this resolves your issue

A bug that allowed Language Content Tags to appear in the Tag page undesirably should now be fixed:

As part of our renewed focus on ensuring these issues donā€™t pop up again, weā€™ve gone to the effort of including tests to cover these specific scenarios.

As ever please update and let us know if you are seeing any issues with these scenarios.

6 Likes

Yes. Iā€™m so glad! Thanks!

3 Likes

Hello. I would very much like to be able to translate the description of categories. Translation of only category names is almost useless

2 Likes