Multiple transactional email providers with auto-switch between them

(Anton) #1

Mandrill gives 12k free emails per month.
Sendgrid gives another 12k free emails per month.
… and there are more of such providers.

It would be cool to sign up with a few and enter the corresponding SMTP authorization details of all of them in a config file and set a quota, i.e:

• Mandrill: username, password, 11900 (first 11900 emails)
  • Sendgrid: username, password, 11900 (next 11900 emails)
  • ProviderX: username, password (all the other emails)

For a growing community, would save at least $10/mo * 12mo = $120/year. The figure is especially sensitive in developing countries like Ukraine, and especially for non-profit communities.

(Sam Saffron) #2

I get the problem and desire to keep costs down but this kind of feature can not be in core, it sends a weird message to the mail providers, it would have to be a plugin

(Anton) #3

Sam, may you please explain what you mean here.

(Sam Saffron) #4

The reason mail providers start charging after N emails is cause they want you to pay

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Mandrill has no free tier any more so this topic is not even correct.

(Stephen) #6

This would create a really inconsistent UX too, mandrill integrates with the content itself, allowing users to unsubscribe and even blacklist a sender.

If a Discourse instance sent mail via multiple providers none of these things would work.

(Anton) #7

Going point. Didn’t think about it.

Oh, so I’m the lucky one using an old account with free 12k emails per month :slight_smile:

(Anton) #8

I run out of 100k emails with a free SparkPost account, and had to manually switch settings to SendGrid for a few days, then switch it back again - each time rebuilding.

Such a plugin would still be very helpful, especially taking into account the new “bouncing email webhooks” feature, which would make switching more smooth in terms of maintaining low bouncing rates.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #9

Reinforcing what @sam said, this is as an unethical exploit of free tiers. Can’t be supported in core.