Muting categories hides them. Muting subcategories should too

If I mute a category, it (appropriately) hides it from the Categories list. I like this behavior (as do my users) because it lets users opt-out of uninteresting discussions.

How-to muted

However, muting subcategories does not behave the same way.

Here, I have sysadmins and devs muted because I am neither, and all that jargon is alien to me.

Subcategories should behave the same way as categories do; disappear from the categories page when muted.

With a lot of users like ours, with very intense but varied interests, they have expressed a lot of desire to hide categories they arenā€™t interested in to make navigating the Categories page easier and less cluttered.

I also support the expected behavior of muting/watching a category muting/watching its subcategories unless specifically unmuted. See here and here.

5 Likes

This to me looks like a bug in ā€œmuteā€ we should be suppressing these categories on that screenshot.

@kris.kotlarek can you investigate a fix here?

6 Likes

Quick update! This is working great on desktop, but the fix didnā€™t seem to apply to mobile. Report from user:

Unfortunately, subcategory muting still shows all the subcategories on mobile view. Or at least it still does for me on my android phone in Chrome and Firefox mobile.

Hereā€™s my view of the genres category on desktop ā€“ as you can see, Iā€™ve muted all the subcategories except for fantasy.

But all the subcategories Iā€™ve muted still show for me on my mobile phone. :c
So unmuting the ā€˜regionsā€™ category to show only my home region on the main forums page (while manually muting all other region subcategories) doesnā€™t work on mobile, which is where I spend about half my time on the site.

6 Likes

Thanks for testing! @kris.kotlarek will get this sorted

3 Likes

The joys of a robust user base. They find issues fast.

3 Likes

Hey Heather,
Thank you for telling us about that bug, it is fixed. NaNoWriMo is deployed to the latest version so mobile users should not see hidden categories anymore :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Excellent, thank you SO much for both fixes!

4 Likes