My `approve post count` isn't working when set to 1

Hi everyone,

Bit of an odd problem on my Discourse which may be caused by another setting, but I’m not sure.

I’ve set approve post count to be 1

Sure enough, when a new user signs up and posts, it needs approval.

When their post is approved we’re finding that their second post also always needs approval:

With their second post approved they can then make a third post with no further interaction required.

Strange.

If I set the approve post count to be 2, then their third post does NOT need approval.

The issue seems to only be in place if set to 1.

Have I missed another related setting? Is this by design? Am I misunderstanding that design? :thinking:

5 Likes

This might be a bug. (off by one strikes again?) We should have a look next week @eviltrout.

4 Likes

Let me know if you need any more information or other current settings from my Discourse?

Thanks, I’ll leave it with you :+1:t2:

1 Like

A quick look at the logic internally shows that 1 should be an acceptable value. Can you tell us the values of the these related setttings?

• approve unless trust level
  • approve new topics unless trust level

I’m wondering if you have a trust level setting that a user graduates past around 3 posts.

Thanks for taking a look @eviltrout

Settings as requested:

3 Likes

Thanks. I was able to reproduce locally. It seems new topics weren’t counted towards that post count. They are now and it should fix it for you:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/add3d46bc0ba29b7ced2cda9c540eb9c2e90d96d

9 Likes

Fantastic :clap:t2:

I may not get a chance to update my Discourse before Friday but thank you in advance Robin @eviltrout - very grateful :bowing_man:

3 Likes

Fix confirmed!

I tried:

• New topic + reply

• New topic + new topic

• Reply + reply

The first action always needs approval, the second action now always goes straight through without an issue.

Thanks again @eviltrout :smiley:

4 Likes