My friends group

Hi, is there a way to have a “my friends” group in my user profile? (not necessarily to follow them). Thank you.

You mean like a group or are you referring to the follow plugin?

I am using the Follow plug-in. But my ask was more to mark some users as my friends (my relations) without following their content.

What behaviour would that trigger?

2 Likes

None. Like you can have bookmarks, I would like to have bookmarked friends.

I can’t think of anything that would serve that purpose, no.

1 Like

You could create a listing in About me in your profile.

Use Hide details.

Friends

Profile - patrickemin - Discourse Meta

Profile - ondrej - Discourse Meta

Profile - HAWK - Discourse Meta

These lists would need to be made manually. For profile links copy the link address of the profile avatar.

https://meta.discourse.org/u/ondrej

There is I believe a link method that should more display the usercard. But cannot recall it off hand.

1 Like

You can always just make a list in your inbox using a pm to yourself and link to it with a custom sidebar link. If you list them as @mentions, you can easily click on them for actions without actually notifying them, since it’s your inbox and you are the only recipient of the message. I have an inbox notebook organized and indexed into sections with my checklist of tasks, all kinds of notes, blog updates and links, etc. I use a private Discourse instance like a personal organizer tool that pretty much does everything. I don’t know what your use case is, whether you want a private list for yourself, or a public list a la facebook style.

3 Likes

Yes thanks. Actually I could create a group. This came to my mind as I think there is no simpler solution.

1 Like

Groups can work for sure. Though could be messy if wanting all users to have their own friends/family groups.

1 Like

Yes that’s the problem.

1 Like

If you have an available budget consider marketplace.

Someone might be able to create a plugin that will Automatically create a group using as a base

• username-friends. Maybe once user reached TL3 & account x days old.
  • Making that user owner with setting “request to join” & leave freely.
  • Hide group from group page and add link to usercard and/or user profile.
  • Additional consideration if owner cannot change group visibility to have option to make group only show to members(private vs public viewable).

Such a plugin option would make it possible to closer simulate FB and would be a great addon for the Fakebook themes.

Yes, thank you for the detailed suggestion.

1 Like