My post beeing edited

Hi,

i’ve not been here for a while but now saw in the notifications that one of my latest posts i did here was edited a day after i wrote it. I’m not sure if this is existing culture in this forums but i have to say i’m slightly confused. I don’t think i did harm anyone or step over some lines of respect or aynthing else by saying what i said (have to admit i’m not a native english speaker as you probably already noticed so i’m a bit unsure about that). I do feel a bit uncomfortable when my posts get silently edited. In this case @riking just changed what i said.

The post I’m talking about is this one: Alternative to POP3 -> Mandrill?

and here’s a screen of the edit:

would love to hear why this happened and probably also what other think as i’d also like to hear how you do handle this stuff in your forums.

1 Like

You can ask @riking but the /faq says:

In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts in any way; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.

That counts as “remove any content”, though I don’t think “I seriously don’t want to troll” was necessary to remove, it does fall under the FAQ outlined above.

I am personally fine with it either way.

I felt like it was both an appropriate tone edit that respected the original content of the post (as you’d see on StackOverflow), and it was intended to give you an example of what you should try to cut out of your posts. Both long and short posts are handled perfectly fine in Discourse, and you shouldn’t have to feel like you need to apologize for asking for help.

Also, the edit is publicly visible (hence accountable), which is why we’re able to discuss it here :wink:

2 Likes