My website is always down

To recover more quickly, might it not be best to migrate to a more spacious server?

Do you have a recent back-up? Migration can take very little time (under an hour?) compared with trouble-shooting an existing “unhealthy” server?

5 Likes

Isn’t there an option to scale the storage automatically?

2 Likes

I’m totally sure all of those tips are valid and right, and @danielabc is lacking free space. However — I’ve been on that situation once and anything wasn’t broken, even I was on too small VPS (the 5USD droplet from DO is very problematic in many ways). I rebooted VPS and docker didn’t restart. That’s it, and errors were very similar, or totally same, than showed here.

But if everything is because of lack free space/memory, wouldn’t then the only solution be increasing size of VPS? Even shortly just to find out if the issue is lacking of resources? Because if it so, then OP is just using bandage that doesn’t hold too long and she will be at same situation again?

Because I’m just another end-user I love easy solutions. Knowing how to clean and keep everything nice and tidy is something that we have to learn. But it is not a solution, it is short time fix, where one can break places before that fix works.

1 Like

Can you try docker image and see what it says?

1 Like

It’s actually not the server’s fault, it’s 50GB, it’s all my fault because I thought Discourse automatically deleted things from the server, but actually I have to, but I just wanted to know where I see things that I can delete and which items can I delete?

1 Like

Automatically in the meaning yes, we can increase RAM, disk or both just by clicking. Automatically in the meaning where droplet scales up without asking permission when it is short of anything… I really hope not, or nobody should tell it to @danielabc or me, because there is high risk to get enormous billing.

1 Like

Automatically meaning without having to backup the data and restore to a new server. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Discourse mostly will delete a lot, if you do updating/upgrading usein easiest way. These guys are doing many things differently than you and me who has very weak understanding what the heck is docker :wink:

If I remember right you are using a lot images. Those eat disk really fast, if kept on VPS.

1 Like

1 Like

docker is up ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
docker image ls

1 Like

Then it is almost automatic upgrading :rofl:

• backup must do before upgrading (well, it is not must-must but really smart move), but I know you weren’t after that :wink:
  • yup, DO will do anything and all an user must do is brew some coffee and wait

Is this something called as off-topic… :thinking: :man_facepalming: :rofl:

1 Like

You’re right. But I’d be more comfortable with expanding a droplet where the system has at least a few free Mo, just in case the expansion require a reboot which could be compromised by the extreme lack of space, I’m not sure how it’s done however.

2 Likes

“Guys”, what do you think about that? harmless? my bet is a couple hundreds Mo

1 Like

But how can I find deleting useless files on my server to free up space?

1 Like

Sorry, I had a typo - docker images (though not 100% sure it will work without docker running :slight_smile:)

My thinking, for anyone following along at home, is to remove an orphaned docker image manually to free up enough space to do everything ‘the proper way™’. The other topic suggested it while docker wasn’t running, but I think they opted to remove some backups to achieve a similar thing.

You basically go through the directories here and look for where all the big files are. I think logs, older backups, and orphaned images are normally the best bets for removal.

2 Likes

So, all that is in this image, are the files that make up my server? how can i know which one i should delete? (Can I delete anyone? It won’t be a problem?) And how do you delete them?

1 Like

These are where you can find the backups and the images, and once you can identify one that’s safe to remove, you can snip it out using the rm command.

1 Like

Is there a manual here at Discourse that talks more about this?

1 Like

It saved me 656.0M, so maybe worth a go.

3 Likes

Meta is Discourse’s live manual. :slight_smile: There are a few topics on it, but I don’t think it crops up that often to get itself an FAQ.

1 Like