New extensibility sub-category: Badge Queries

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

I’d like to propose the creation of a new sub-category for Extensibility, called “Badge Queries”.

This thread in particular is filled to the rim with excellent query snippets (major props to @PJH and @riking):

There’s also this:

And a couple other How-tos spread around.

This info ought to be easily searchable and maintainable. That could be achieved with a dedicated sub-forum, where each query snippet could have its own dedicated topic. Would also be a good use case for the new Post Templates, since each new topic should follow a template that goes something like this:

(Use the topic title to describe the most basic function of your query.)

**Suggested title:** {What would you call this query?}

{Please describe what this query does and how that might be useful.}

'''sql
Insert your query here
'''

In the future it might be worthwhile to keep the snippets in individual files collected in a GitHub repository, and display them in their respective topics via the link embeds. That would facilitate the creation of a more easily searchable interface (example: hookr.io).

(Jeff Atwood) #2

To be honest, I am not a fan of the whole badge queries genre; the good ones we should just ship in each version of Discourse, and the bad ones can cripple performance on your site with horrendous or broken SQL.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

Yeah, that’s another reason why I wanted these queries to be treated as more than a “cool tip”. Every custom query merits its own discussion and success/failure reports.

Including many of these queries in Discourse core would be great, but surely there will still be a few niche ones left out that ought to have space of their own.

A special tag or variety of the Solved plugin could be nice here too, i.e. to mark queries as “Tested” (or “Reviewed”, or “Safe”).

There could also be a “Query Author” badge.

(Stephen) #4

Now that the badge analyser is visible again could we not have a sticky in that category explaining how to use costs to determine whether a query will impact performance?

I’ve found out the hard way what happens when bad queries aren’t resolved prior to other operations. Rebuilding with a test badge enabled did some fairly horrible things.

(Alessio Fattorini) #5

Community are different, and different are goals and badges.
Take a look to my badges:
http://community.nethserver.org/badges
And to this discussion: