New index on post_custom_fields can not be created

Hi everyone !

When I use the docker manager to upgrade Discourse, I have an error during the db migrate part since thursday or friday. Tonight I tried to rebuild app to see what happens (why not right ? :sweat_smile: ) and it always fail on bootstrap, here the message :

FAILED
--------------------
RuntimeError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 510 exit 1>
Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:105:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"bundle_exec", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle install --deployment --verbose --without test --without development'", "su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate'", "su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake assets:precompile'"]}
d296ee0c0364464ffaaad8aaa34ece7826d517dde1326e3f068dd68b9b8c354c

When I reboot the droplet on Digital Ocean, my forum is fine, and it seems that my discourse version is actually upgrading (currently v1.4.0.beta6 +93) but this problem intrigue me.

I have some plugin : spoiler alert, discourse details and some personal plugins (based on the creations of the community) : some organized emojis, a complete toolbar, and some bbcodes, but it doesn’t seem to be the problem considering the report. I didn’t add any plugins in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Do you have an idea of the cause of that problem ? This error message is enough or do you need more info ?

Again, sorry for my english, I hope i’m pretty clear :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Almost certainly unsupported plugins. Unless we ship them, disable them and try again. Also you would need to look much further upstream in the logs for the actual error.

Hello again, thanks for the reply. Tonight, I edited the app.yml and delete my plugins, leaving only the Docker Manager plugin, it failed again during the rebuild app.

I copied the process :

Nothing urgent here, my problem is not a priority, Discourse is up to date via Docker Manager and with a reboot it’s running fine. But if someone has an idea, I’ll take it :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #4

We would need the full logs your error is deeper upstream

Where can I find the full logs ?

Is it the production log in /var/discourse/shared/standalone/log/rails ?

(Sam Saffron) #6

The full output of launcher rebuild…

That’s what I did in this file : http://www.iunctis.ovh/rebuild_app.txt

Something’s missing ?

(Kane York) #8
PG::ProgramLimitExceeded: ERROR:  index row size 5640 exceeds maximum 2712 for index "index_post_custom_fields_on_name_and_value"
HINT:  Values larger than 1/3 of a buffer page cannot be indexed.
Consider a function index of an MD5 hash of the value, or use full text indexing.
: CREATE  INDEX  "index_post_custom_fields_on_name_and_value" ON "post_custom_fields"  ("name", "value")/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.0.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-0.9.6/lib/patches/db/pg.rb:90:in `exec'

Do we need to kill that index?

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Hmm is this your index @eviltrout?

(Robin Ward) #10

Yes I added it because @sam asked me to. Maybe we should only index the first few characters of value?

(Sam Saffron) #11

aha … probably, we need to do something here.

I have a feeling that this is going to be tricky

I hope it’ll not be a big trouble.

Tonight, I upgraded discourse to the latest version and I cannot access any topic : http://iunctis.fr/

Topic failed to load

Sorry, we couldn't load that topic, possibly due to a connection 
problem. Please try again. If the problem persists, let us know.

I shutdown the server, restarted it, It doesn’t work

Could it be connected ? Or should I open a new topic ?

(Sam Saffron) #13

This should fix you up:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/ea5ef3bcf69b70f9b68edd2aeb3b2122a61b2b45

Wait till it hits tests-passed

It works ! Thanks @sam !

I tried to rebuild app first, it didn’t work. But a few minutes ago, the new version appeared in my docker manager and It worked

http://iunctis.fr/uploads/default/_emoji/obama6.png

(Sam Saffron) #15