New - lots of unexpected group message notifications, unable to change notification level

Yesterday, I updated a site from latest-release +19 to latest. All went well, except I myself started getting lots of notifications about group messages for a group I am not in. I looked at the group inbox and the button to change notification level is not displaying correctly. I tried safe mode and there was no change. I also rebuilt again, with no luck.

It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.17.06 AM

When I select it and choose “normal” I get this in the javascript console:

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 9.22.50 AM

On another site I manage, the button looks like the below and when I change notification level no error appears in the console. Though I did notice the icon sometimes disappears - I think that is a known separate issue.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 9.29.43 AM

1 Like

Quick followup - a fellow staff member on that forum pointed out to me that the helpdeskteam group is getting multiple notifications about the same notification event. This is pretty weird! This is the same group I am having trouble with as explained in OP.

Does that site have any non-standard plugins? I think that this is a common problem with . … something that I can’t remember.

1 Like

The site does have a few unofficial plugins.

• babble (disabled)
  • discourse-bcc
  • discourse-events
  • whos-online (disabled)
  • retort (disbled)

Babble is notorious for causing problems like this.

1 Like

Babble could cause the trouble

2 Likes

Plugins need to be well written for disabling them to actually turn them all the way off. If remove all of those and make your life better. :wink:

3 Likes