"New User of the Month" badge doesn't appear to be monthly?

(Konrad Borowski) #1

To explain, I was trying to get that badge on Rust users forum (which I believe is hosted on business Discourse hosting, considering it loads files from cdn-business).

Here is a badge page: New User of the Month badge on The Rust Programming Language Forum

Last time this badge was obtained is Apr 21, when it is May 24 now. I suspect the badge event did occur earlier, and because of safe net in code (preventing code from running if it’s not a month already), it didn’t do anything.

(gauthier) #2

Hi,

Same here: Nouvel utilisateur du mois badge sur Libertysim.net - Simulation aérienne Forum & Discussions
2 on Apr 1st and … nothing more.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Note that the badge won’t award if there are no users that meet the criteria in the month. @eviltrout can you confirm all is well, etc?

(gauthier) #4

Thanks, it’s may be the problem for me.

(Konrad Borowski) #5

I’m fairly sure my account does meet the criteria (I believe you need to have at least 1 :heart:) - The Rust Programming Language Forum. I joined May 11, and got 46 :heart:.

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

On a site I’ve been working on, a user who I’m pretty sure never logged in got user of the month.

(gauthier) #7

i’ve just triggered manually the job. it’s seems ok for me.

@GlitchMr, you can try yourself at yourforum.com/sidekiq/scheduler and manually trigger Jobs::GrantNewUserOfTheMonth.
Be sure to give a like to a new user before.

(Robin Ward) #8

I looked at the Badge and did find a bug that didn’t occur to me before. If the top performing people were the same two months in a row, the second month nobody would receive the badge.

Having said that, that is not the case on the rust forum. I do think there is a bug where jobs that are scheduled monthly never happen. In this case, I changed the job to execute daily instead of monthly. There is a check just in case so running it daily seems safer.

I don’t see how this is possible. The code pretty clearly needs them to have posted and received likes. If you could provide more information that would be good.

(Jay Pfaffman) #9

I noticed this in the midst of another problem–the user couldn’t receive email (it turned out that was because the MX record for the forum was an IP rather than a host name, and the receiving mail server/spam filter thought that was just Too Wrong). I enabled the user with rake admin:create and logged in as them once or twice to see that it worked (and the first couple times it still claimed that the email address hadn’t been validated). I think I finally solved the problem by making them an admin and then revoking it.

And, after all that, when I logged in as that user, I swear it said that it had just earned user of the month. It seemed odd, but not worth mentioning until I noticed this thread.

If you want me to go poke at it some more, I will, but maybe just file this away until there’s some indication that it might mean something.

Ours didn’t grant this month either.

https://experts.feverbee.com/badges/44/new-user-of-the-month

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #11

To add more date points, we (Stonehearth) did have the badge granted this month.

(Robin Ward) #12

The fix only went out yesterday unfortunately, so you probably haven’t received it yet.

Just got it!

I was alerted by this

Further to the last post, I admit to being a sceptic of this badge for professional communities such as mine, however it has been positively received by 3 of the 4 that have been awarded it so far. (The fourth doesn’t yet know.)

I renege on my scepticism.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.