Nginx Error at testing stage

[kirizagroup00001@localhost nginx]$ nginx -t
nginx: [alert] could not open error log file: open() “/var/log/nginx/error.log” failed (13: Permission denied)
2018/03/04 14:29:21 [warn] 2495#0: the “user” directive makes sense only if the master process runs with super-user privileges, ignored in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf:5
2018/03/04 14:29:21 [emerg] 2495#0: unknown directive “erver” in /etc/nginx/conf.d/discourse.conf:1
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

Am I getting this error because I haven’t yet obtained a domain name for my discourse or is it an internal error?

The “erver” directive? Should that be “server”?

Oh okay, thank you for noticing that. This is what it is saying now.
[root@localhost nginx]# nginx -t
nginx: [emerg] unknown directive “sl_session_timeout” in /etc/nginx/ssl.conf:1
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

What kind of install is this?

If you don’t have a domain name you can’t have https.

1 Like

Test install…i wanted to know how to install it to a certain point (know possible errors among others) before getting a domain name. It is a long story with political involvement as to why i have chosen not to get a domain name yet…which of course has to be one similar to my forum.
I can’t elucidate more than that…

You can’t run discourse without a host name. You can’t have https anywhere without a host name.

You followed the install cloud document?

3 Likes

I am aware of that. I simply used details that will be registered later to see what errors will come up and the mentioned above is the only error. SSL certificate must have a registered domain…

You’re missing the first character again: ssl_session_timeout

4 Likes

Oh yeah…there is that. I actually saw the tutorial for Discourse testing and decided to take that route. I think I will fully install it on DO Droplets when i am ready to host, the many missing things that I have are causing all these errors and waiting for live hosting is a better decision.