No drafts in Discourse? Abomination! So I have had to publish 65 open drafts. And that sucks. Is there a way to hide these published posts?

I am The Shinto priest using Discourse
And I am very angry
Not even a little.
But
I do have a problem

I published 65 posts, to capture the ideas
Nobody is in this community, so nobody sees
But soon, I will share the forum

I want to hide every sibngle post I have made–shit.
That will not even let me edit them as drafts before id decide to unhide them

I think I screwed up.
Would you recommend that I remove all the posts I have created?
And put the information into a notion page for later?

I mean, I messed up here, because I did not want to use another tool for writing.

Maybe, I can delete all the content on each post
Put that content into a notion page
and then hide the post
until i am ready to publish it
when I do unhide the post.
Then I will repopulate the information as an edit from the Notion page I migrated to.

1. Can you hide posts?
  2. Why does Discourse not have Drafts?
  3. Obviously the work of Elves.

I am trying to preserve the date the article was published.
Otherwise I would just migrate the information
And nuke all the posts.

I cannot believe there is no drafts as a basic function

Email has drafts.
Everything does.
Elves work here
I know it.

I clicked the unlist button.
I assume this means the post is now hidden from everyone.
And I can continue to edit it

If this is correct
I should just do this to every post.

An unlisted post is hidden from latest and similar topic lists. But everyone who has the link can read it. And it also causes notifications. So when you mention a user or they watch the category, they receive a notification, which is a link to the topic. Then the user can read the topic. See also the documentation about unlisted topics.

You can create a category, which users cannot see (or use the default staff category), post your topic there and move the topic to another category to publish it.
Or you can use the shared draft feature to draft and publish your topic.

8 Likes

Create a category that is just for you. Move those topics there. When you are ready, use then topic timer to publish those in public categories.

Someone will guide you to use PMs that you sent to yourself. But that is actually quite ackward way.

And no, we will not get more drafts because design is limiting drafts of new topics to one. You can have several post drafts as long those are in different topics.

Feature request for that is no go. It is requested so many times.

5 Likes

Or not, because then it keep original date.

I think the feature request is quite popular and it seems not that unlikely that more drafts will be possible in the future

7 Likes

I’ve been drafting topics in a private category, then manually moving them to public categories and using the wrench menu to Change Timestamp. When you publish with the topic timer does it provide a fresh timestamp?

Yes it does (and generally referring to one older topic: that is an example where plain yes or no is totally ok without very american small talk added to it :joy:)

1 Like