No mailtest option after install

docker

(Josh M) #1

Just went through a clean install on Digital Ocean. Bootstrapped and started fine. Went to mailtest app and option isn’t even there?

root@talk:/var/discourse# ./launcher mailtest app
Usage: launcher COMMAND CONFIG [–skip-prereqs]
Commands:
start: Start/initialize a container
stop: Stop a running container
restart: Restart a container
destroy: Stop and remove a container
enter: Use nsenter to enter a container
ssh: Start a bash shell in a running container
logs: Docker logs for container
bootstrap: Bootstrap a container for the config based on a template
rebuild: Rebuild a container (destroy old, bootstrap, start new)
cleanup: Remove all containers that have stopped for > 24 hours

Options:
–skip-prereqs Don’t check prerequisites
–docker-args Extra arguments to pass when running docker

(Kane York) #2

That functionality was ripped out because it didn’t exactly work. Boot it all the way up, and send test emails from the admin panel; those go through the same routes as everything else.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Where are you finding reference to mailtest? We need to excise those. I can think of two places…

Edit: I just cleaned up a whole bunch of old topics referring to old email issues that should not happen with current versions (and/or are covered in the email troubleshooting guide), or are referring to the now removed Mailtest Python script.

(Josh M) #4

You’re quick! Force of habit after installing, checked and saw it on the post-install maintenance section of the install, but you snagged that one too.

Thanks guys.

(Kovah) #5

But what if you can’t even access the admin panel because you couldn’t activate your admin account after a fresh install because you didn’t got the activation mail?

(Kane York) #6

If you’re using SES, you can set DISCOURSE_NOTIFICATION_EMAIL to set the from address before being able to access the site settings. Or you can ./launcher enter app and run rake admin:create.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

This shouldn’t happen – the domain name of the “from” email is set to the actual domain name of the site at install time.

The only way this would be a problem is if the domain name of the site is not set correctly, either.

(Kovah) #8

Does rake admin:create also activates the account?

It’s not about a domain problem or something else but how am I supposed to test if the system is able to send emails at all, i.e. if the configured SMTP server is working? Or do I understand something wrong with the activation email? I mean the SMTP server has to work if the mail should be send or not?

(Régis Hanol) #9

Yes it does activate the admin account.

(Kovah) #10

Okay then the mailtest function is not needed. Thanks for the fast answer!