SMTP works with test emails but not with new activations

Greetings,
I followed the instructions here Install Discourse Forum on Ubuntu 18.04 Without Docker and got a working Discourse set up with minimal issues. Upgraded to the latest version and everything seems fine except emails.

The admin page SMTP test works … I can send out emails just fine from there. But when testing user registration emails do not go out - in fact there is nothing in admin->emails->sent being logged (other than the test messages) admin->emails->skipped is empty (as is bounced received and rejected-- all empty)

As near as I can tell production.log does not have any related error and the admin->logs->Error logs has nothing related either.

This smells like a permissions problem or a missing temp directory … but nothing in the logs makes it rather difficult to figure out what’s going on.

Any thoughts or ideas, is there a way to turn on more logging to hunt down whats going on internally?

Thanks!

is there a reason why you used Install Discourse Forum on Ubuntu 18.04 Without Docker and not the official install guide ?

1 Like

I really didn’t want to deal with having to manage a docker container, or the additional overhead it brings on a perfectly good operating system that would be dedicated to this task. I also have a Postgress system already geo-diverse that I can use vs an on-instance one … All these normal %snix things I can handle but the opacity of discourse has me a bit baffled at the moment. I’m pretty sure I can figure it out with strace but I was hoping to skip those hour or so of debugging by asking here :wink:

Just on the off-chance it’s something simple, have you checked you’ve not accidentally set disable emails in the admin settings?

1 Like

Good idea to check that, but seems to be “No” which is “enabling emails” I think –

1 Like

in ~/log/production.log I do get the following so its making it this far

Started POST “/u/action/send_activation_email” for X.X.X.X at 2022-02-10 21:45:52 +0000
Processing by UsersController#send_activation_email as /
Parameters: {“username”=>“my@email.net”}
Rendered text template (Duration: 0.0ms | Allocations: 3)
Completed 200 OK in 29ms (Views: 1.6ms | ActiveRecord: 0.0ms | Allocations: 7196)

found this old related thread, if its true than the test email service and the normal email services are different Test emails work fine but nothing else

I think i found the solution

Did that work?

I’m afraid I only have experience with the standard install, so can only chip in curiosity contributions. :slightly_smiling_face: Are you trying to set up a live production site?

2 Likes