No registration IP for invited user?

So I was checking on an account from a user we were having a problem with and there’s no registration IP for him. Just last IP address. What would cause this?

1 Like

Do you use SSO or other alternative forms of login?

No we don’t. I don’t have anything else enabled.

Any weird reverse proxies or unusual things in front of Discourse?

Did they register, or were they invited?

I’ve just checked a new instance where the only other user right now was invited, and don’t see a registration IP either.

That install is pretty standard, no reverse proxy, Cloudflare or anything else like that in the mix.

2 Likes

Hmm can you repro this invite “no tracking of registration IP” behavior @tshenry?

Just confirmed it by inviting one more user and registering a third. Users who are invited don’t show a registration IP, the user who I registered by hand did. Hopefully that’s consistent with what @Garrick has experienced.

Would that make this a bug, or is the behavior expected for invited users? Registration IP is presumably for sockpuppet detection, whereas invited users are more trusted?

5 Likes

Yep, one more confirmation - no registration IP address for invited users.

4 Likes

We should fix that @techapj, low pri.

6 Likes

Yeah thanks. I just checked and yes another member invited them. I don’t have any reverse proxies or anything in front of them.

Fixed via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/95ada3f190499d931eef661adf50115bf9fe1a49

7 Likes