Not able to restore discourse docker backup on Ubuntu discourse installation

Hello,
I am using the following settings for the Development environment.

1. Oracle VM VirtualBox is installed on a Windows 8.1 Pro machine.
  2. We installed Ubuntu 22.04 using Oracle VM VirtualBox.
  3. Followed the steps given at Install Discourse on Ubuntu or Debian for Development to install the Discourse development instance.

I am trying to restore the backup from our staging environment but when I try to restore the backup the discourse instance crashes without any errors.

Has anyone ever faced anything like this, If anyone can suggest some workaround it will be helpful.
Thanks.

Hi Ramanan lyer :slight_smile:

Could you be more specific about this? What does “crashes” mean here exactly?
Is there any error message on the screen/browser?
Which logs did you look for (there are many)?

1 Like

Hi Coin-coin,

Could you be more specific about this? What does “crashes” mean here exactly?

To start the Discourse app on Ubuntu, there is a CLI tool, “/discourse/bin/ember-cli -u”. This will allow you to access the Discourse interface using http://localhost:4200. When I use Admin → Backup → Restore option, there is no error on the screen but there is a spinner on the screen, but the CLI windows closed.

Is there any error message on the screen/browser?

There is no error message on the screen/browser.

Which logs did you look for (there are many)?

There is no error log when I checked Admin → Logs → Error log interface.

I have the following error after resolving other issues

Can someone have the same issue?

1 Like

If you are restoring a backup from an instance that had DiscourseAI installed you will need the GitHub - pgvector/pgvector: Open-source vector similarity search for Postgres extension installed on the target database.

3 Likes

Hi Falco,
Thanks, we did it and it resolved our issue with restore. We are however facing another problem which we have described at Login popup not display