Not getting registration email with sparkpost

Hi there -
I have run through everything in the troubleshooting guide and still cannot get that registration email to send.

In Sparkpost mail, it shows that an email was blocked last night when I tried to register, but nothing today (I have tried twice to register). The reason it shows is:
550 5.7.1 Unconfigured Sending Domain <discourse.bite-nutrition.com>

I changed the custom commands at the end of app.yml to this:
## If you want to set the ‘From’ email address for your first registration, uncomment and change:
## After getting the first signup email, re-comment the line. It only needs to run once.
- exec: rails r “SiteSetting.notification_email=‘noreply@bite-nutrition.com’”

When I look at the production log, I see this:

Sent mail to gina@bite-nutrition.com (509.7ms)
Error connecting to Redis on localhost:6379 (Errno::ECONNREFUSED) subscribe failed, reconnecting in 1 second. Call stack ["/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/r
edis/client.rb:345:in `rescue in establish_connection'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/client.rb:331:in `establish_connection'", "/var/www/discours
e/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/client.rb:101:in `block in connect'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/client.rb:293:in `with_re
connect'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/client.rb:100:in `connect'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/clien
t.rb:364:in `ensure_connected'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/client.rb:221:in `block in process'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/g
ems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/client.rb:306:in `logging'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/client.rb:220:in `process'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle
/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/client.rb:134:in `block in call_loop'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/client.rb:280:in `with_socket_timeout'
", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/client.rb:133:in `call_loop'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/subscribe.r
b:43:in `subscription'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis/subscribe.rb:12:in `subscribe'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3
.1/lib/redis.rb:2760:in `_subscription'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis.rb:2138:in `block in subscribe'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.
3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis.rb:58:in `block in synchronize'", "/usr/local/lib/ruby/2.3.0/monitor.rb:214:in `mon_synchronize'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3
.1/lib/redis.rb:58:in `synchronize'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/redis-3.3.1/lib/redis.rb:2137:in `subscribe'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/mess
age_bus-2.0.2/lib/message_bus/backends/redis.rb:304:in `global_subscribe'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/message_bus-2.0.2/lib/message_bus.rb:513:in `global_subscribe_t
hread'", "/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/message_bus-2.0.2/lib/message_bus.rb:461:in `block in new_subscriber_thread'"]

Sparkpost mail shows sending domain is “ready to send”.

DNS is configured

Haaaaalp! I’m soooo close!

This is concerning, are you out of memory? Discourse will not function correctly if redis is not running.

How would I check that?

running free -h on the host is a good start, there should be quite a few topics on meta regarding memory.

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           992M        611M         89M         21M        291M        164M
Swap:          2.0G         47M        2.0G

I destroyed my droplet and started over. It’s working now!

4 Likes

Hey All

Sorry to necro this thread, but I am also getting the same error 6379 in my log, I destroyed my droplet and started over like @Gina_Patterson but I’m still getting the same message. My free -h check reads

total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 992M 575M 107M 19M 309M 196M
Swap: 2.0G 38M 2.0G

I have gone through the email registration trouble shooting guide - no avail…

Curiously my sparkpost records show my emails having 100% rejection because:

“550 5.7.1 Unconfigured Sending Domain”

I HAVE verified the domain via DKIM and abuse@/postmaster@… however I’m not sure what I still need to configure. I’m using alternate SMTP port 2525 in the app.yml because I heard google blocks 587. (I’m trying to send my registration email to a paid g suite account).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did try to exhaust all other options before asking for help here thanks.

-Andrew

I destroyed my droplet and rebuilt it using mailgun for a smtp server, works fine now! Cheers all.