Notifications for Specific User?

I searched but couldn’t find an answer to this specifically…

Is there a way to get a notification (email, desktop) for a specific user? I know you can suppress specific users…

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean? You want a notification every time a particular user posts? You’ll need to subscribe to the RSS feed on that user’s profile page then.

Ah, I see. But that’s not as quick (and as native) as getting a desktop notification whenever a specific user posts or responds.

I did see this:

https://meta.discourse.org/users/codinghorror/activity.rss

:+1:

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Discourse isn’t a social media engine, but a discussion tool, so the “follow a person” feature never really made sense to us.

And I agree with this perspective entirely… but there is a use-case, I believe, where there’s someone specific or a leader / moderator that you realize you trust a lot and you don’t want to miss anything they have to offer. I see this behavior in my own new forum where folks really want to follow a very specific person of interest.

Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Then visit that person’s profile page… which contains all their posts.

That’s what I’m recommending to the users who have asked! Perfecto.

(Michael Downey) #8

How feasible would it be to “bookmark a user”? Basically a way to keep a list of the people I want to keep track of.

(Mittineague) #9

The easiest way I can think of is to create a message to yourself with posts containing links to their Profiles.