Oddly named groups with 2 users

Anyone else seeing this?

There are something like 160 of these on our site. All with just two members. I’ve had a look at them, and they don’t seem to show any pattern I can recognise.

Are you using a chat plugin? (or any plugin that can „connect” two users?)


We were. We removed Babble about 1 month ago, these groups only started to appear in the last week.


I can confirm nothing in core or any official plugins would cause this.

Are you 100% sure you removed the chat plugin AND rebuilt?


Nothing in settings about babble. The log shows it being enabled about a month ago, but presumably because of the way plugins are added and removed there is no way to log a “plugin removed” event.

The only changes we’ve made which might be related are discourse-topic-trade-buttons, and Akismet…

Show us the plugins section from your yml file.

I haven’t got shell access:

How was this instance installed? Who hosts it?

We run on AWS. We went live in 2016… probably not an import issue.

I didn’t ask that, but you said you don’t have shell access, does someone else?

@Gunnar will do a reboot when he gets a moment (we’ve got some disappearing avatars). Anything in particular he should look for?

Maybe the created_at timestamps can help you pin down where this is coming from?

./launcher enter app
rails c
Group.order(:created_at).map{|g| "#{g.name} at #{g.created_at}"}
      - git clone https://github.com/discourse/docker_manager.git
      - git clone https://github.com/davidtaylorhq/discourse-whos-online.git
      - git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse-data-explorer.git
      - git clone https://github.com/leodavidson/discourse-reset-bump.git
      - git clone https://github.com/Ebsy/discourse-nationalflags.git
      - git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse-staff-notes.git
      - git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse-patreon.git
      - git clone https://github.com/LeoDavidson/discourse-forcemoderation.git
      - git clone https://github.com/joebuhlig/discourse-mlm-daily-summary.git
      - git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse-yearly-review.git
      - git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse-akismet.git
      - git clone https://github.com/jannolii/discourse-topic-trade-buttons.git
      - git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse-saved-searches.git


1 Like

It was installed by me using the “5 minute” installation procedure from a Docker image that was recommended when I installed, in the fall of 2016.

It’s hosted on AWS, I have shell access. We store as much as possible in S3 and use CloudFront.

1 Like

Thanks. Now, that is interesting.

=> ["everyone at 2016-10-27 01:23:57 UTC",
[ ... deleted a bunch of default groups from the output for clarity ]
 "0c4237a55a437e745adbf49ddb42896c at 2018-08-03 17:17:46 UTC",
 "15324615cad3736be1b16f008024962d at 2018-08-03 22:12:51 UTC",
[ ... deleted a bunch of random groups for clarity ]
 "e0f319af42dcc4faf52f7d23fdab880c at 2019-01-10 12:59:03 UTC",
 "0971bb32374715856236be3069b39e46 at 2019-01-11 04:00:43 UTC"]

So, the problem started in August of 2018 and ended in January of 2019. I can’t say for sure, but that could very well coincide with the installation and removal of the Babble plugin.