On categories descriptions and pinned topics

(Ionuț Staicu) #1

Hi guys. I encounter two … let’s say downsides, that I think are related:

1. Rules

Both Discourse instances I manage have a very short set of rules, about 150 chars. So I display this pinned topic on the home, so anyone can see.

The problem I encounter is that i’d like to display the whole post formatted, because I’d like that anyone could see rules at a glance. Either way, the height won’t increase that much (and it’s a thing that i’d like to be always visible).

Current:

Desired:

Eventually would be nice to allow setting colspan="6" and simply display unnecessary things (e.g. category, users, replies etc), like so:

2. Category

Right now there is an option to set an image for each category. This is fairly nice, but a nicer thing would be to display a text instead (which is also an extra set of rule)

(Jeff Atwood) #2

For number one, sounds like you want a banner topic instead.

(Ionuț Staicu) #3

Actually… yes, sort of.

The difference would be that i’d like the whole thing to not be closeable and to blend in nicely in the current forum table.

(Stephanie) #4

Is there a way to change a global pin to a banner without first unpinning it?

(Jakob Borg) #5

Perhaps you can use a top of page customization instead, for the “global” rules thing, i.e. something similar to this?

(Bhuvanesh R) #6

I couldn’t figure out how to create a Pinned topic which has description similar to this

Can someone help me out, how to do this, please? @sam a little help, please. Sorry if this is a noob question.