I have a few questions regarding Discourse URLs.
QUESTION 1: Why are random letters and numbers added within URLs?
- How can we create URLs without these additional subfolders?
- From my SEO understanding, extra URL subfolders push the content further away from the root domain, which dilutes the authority in Google’s eyes. They also look more spammy/ are not good for UX or trust.
- Examples:community.examplewebsite.com/c/category-name/10, community.examplewebsite.com/t/topic/2529/2
QUESTION 2: How do we ensure that topics which have been assigned a particular parent and child category, remain in that corresponding URL structure?
- This is a huge SEO factor - the more relevant pages which sit within these categories and subfolders help build up authority and indicate to Google how much content sits within these categories. From my understanding, without the folder structure, each individual post URL just sits off the root domain and Google does not see it as categorised or see a hierarchy of related content
- Example: topic 1 has been categorised within parent category 1 > child category 2 , but the URL structure does not reflect this, and the topic still sits off the root domain: community.mojo.so/t/topic-name/2529/2
- The optimised URL structure should be: community.mojo.so/parent-category-1/child-category-1/topic-1/
Would be grateful for any insights (in Layman’s terms)!