Option to notify users if they are block, silenced or banned

Is it ethical to block, silence, mute or ban a user without telling them?

As a comparison on social media like Twitter and Reddit, they will ban or shadow ban accounts. They have done this recently to progressive candidates. Is censorship ok now?

1 Like

When silencing a user, an automatic message is sent to that user informing them that their account is temporarily on hold. When suspending someone, I think there is an option to send an email informing them about their suspension. (Not 100% sure though).

When it comes to mute someone, it’s your choice to do so. Why should they know about that? You do not want to receive any notifications related to that user and that’s why you mute them. Imagine being a user and everyday a message is sent to you saying that someone has muted you. Would you be happy about that? No. It just causes drama.

1 Like

In my opinion if you suspend them then they probably know why…

Sort of relates to this post Jeff made

2 Likes

According to the TOS, it is the right of the forum owners:

https://meta.discourse.org/tos#heading--enforcement

The company may restrict, suspend, or close your account on the forum according to its policy for handling copyright-related takedown requests, or if the company reasonably believes that you’ve broken any rule in these terms.

Agree, however, it is a good idea to notify users in their own profile if that is done.

For two decades on our forum, we have always notified users when our moderation team took any admin action and we provided users a process to appeal.

Sometimes even mods have a “bad day” and make mistakes, for sure.

3 Likes

It appears that Discourse now sends a notification email to the silenced user with the “Why are you silencing this user?” reason included in the message. This feels like a mistake. I thought that the “Why are you silencing this user?” field was only for internal staff purposes, and I think it should never be revealed to the user. And I think the silenced user should only receive an email if the optional email field is filled out.

3 Likes