Optional Mobile Title Header

:discourse2: Summary Optional Mobile Title Header makes the new Discourse 2.2 feature where header switches to mobile title optional for both users and sites.
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository Link https://github.com/discourse/discourse-optional-title-mobile-header
:open_book: New to Discourse Themes? Beginner’s guide to using Discourse Themes

Install this theme component

When disabled per user prefs → interface:

User will see the standard header unconditionally:

When enabled the behavior of “switch to title on scroll down” remains:

As an admin in the theme component section you can control if this is default off or on:

Current Caveats

1. User setting is only persisted per device in local storage.

2. User must reload site after changing setting

3. Not properly localized or localizable.

28 Likes

Do hosted discourse instances have the option to install this component? I sent this to the admin of the site I use, but he’s having trouble getting the setting to show up for users.

There is no restriction on the use of this theme component (or any theme component) on hosted sites. I can take a look shortly.

2 Likes

To follow-up on @seanblue. The theme component installs without issue. I can see the component on the Theme list in Admin. We aren’t seeing the User > Preference > Interface option as seen in the quote.

2 Likes

Have you added the theme component to the active theme(s)? Theme components do nothing themselves unless they’re part of a theme.

8 Likes

Nope. I did not. Adding them to the active themes did it! Thanks for the assistance and education.

5 Likes

Hmm, this doesn’t seem to be working, anymore.

I installed it fine, I see the component, I added it successfully to all themes >> Nada.

@david can you test this out?

2 Likes

@dylanh724 what issue are you seeing here? This theme does nothing on Desktop, so you’ll only see the new option on mobile.

Previously it was necessary to manually refresh the site for the setting to take effect, but I just fixed that.

6 Likes

Users cannot select this in options because the field does not exist.

Are they looking for the setting on mobile, or on desktop? Are you able to share a link to the community?

1 Like

There’s also supposed to be an admin option, right?

Are they looking for the setting on mobile, or on desktop? Are you able to share a link to the community?

Tried both

I just signed up quickly, and I can see the setting in the user preferences on mobile:

Yep, that is located in the themes area. Find the page for the component, and then find the “theme settings” section at the bottom of the page. There’s a screenshot of it in the OP:

4 Likes

I can’t see it all – I wonder if this only works for new accounts? There’s a friend helping me test and he can’t see the option, either. I’m testing desktop, he’s testing mobile.

I did, however, find the theme option within the component (thanks):

1 Like

It definitely will not appear on Desktop. Is it possible that your friend has switched to Desktop view on his mobile?

3 Likes

You keep saying this as if the option doesn’t show on desktop – or is this intended that you can only selection this OPTION when on mobile (rather than the event happening only on mobile, which I understand)?

Correct, you can only toggle the setting when using the mobile device. The theme component does absolutely nothing on Desktop.

6 Likes

@pmusaraj I think some of your recent changes broke this.

@tgxworld when you are done if you need a theme to test the new user selectable stuff this is a great one!

8 Likes

Fixed, this now works with latest core.

8 Likes