Original text is not displayed when attempting to customize text as an admin

Hi, I tried to customize text recently and when I hit the edit button, the original text was not displayed.

How do I edit my custom text?

1 Like

It looks like you are running into the bug that was dealt with here: Changing systems welcome message. This should be fixed in the most recent version of Discourse. What version of Discourse is your site running?

4 Likes

I’m on version 2.4.0.beta6.

2 Likes

You need to update to latest.

2 Likes

The Admin dashboard says that we’re up to date.

1 Like

No, you are not on latest. That’s the beta. Try updating again.

1 Like

Updating to what, and how? I’ve only ever updated from the Admin dashboard when it says that I need to update.

Visit admin/update and press the update button.

@neil one downside of this new layout, it does not indicate how far behind people are behind latest…

Forgive me - I’m still not figuring it out.

On my /admin page, the only references I see to update are shown below.

Caption: Under Version I have an “You’re up to date!” notice and for Installed “2.4.0.beta6”

Caption: “Dashboard updated: just now” and “Discourse updated: 1 day ago”

If I try to navigate to discourse.nycedu.org/admin/update (in case that’s what you meant), I get the “Oops” page.

Sorry, I meant /admin/upgrade.

@neil I’m not happy that the current page gives people no clue whatsoever that they are far behind latest. I view this as a regression…

4 Likes

This is what it used to show:

It didn’t indicate how far you were from the latest commit, it only showed how many commits after the version bump commit you have, which isn’t very interesting.

I think there should always be a link to the upgrade page, and maybe also show how many commits you’re missing on the dashboard.

5 Likes

This worked. After I updated Docker, the dashboard also correctly displayed that we needed to upgrade.

I agree with this. It would have prevented the bug that I experienced above, where even through our Discourse was out of date, I didn’t have the Upgrade button available to me.

Also, yay! The original text is now displayed.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.