Parent categories restricted, but child categories unrestricted?

Hi,

If anyone’s familiar with PHPBB, MyBB, XenForo, etc these forum software have their category setup differently. You would create a category and then create child forums, and in these forums is where posts can be made. Unlike Discourse where a category is where users post, yes you can create child categories but this is not what I’m looking for.

Is it possible to do something like this with Discourse? Create a category and create child forums in which users can post? I know I’m not explaining this in the best way but I hope the screenshot I provided will make sense.

PS: I know I can simply create a category and then child categories and deny permission for people to post in the parent category but then there will be this annoying topic list that I can’t do anything about.

EDIT: If I’m still not making sense, please let me know and I’ll try to explain again. Any help would be much appreciated. :slight_smile:

I’ve asked. Doesn’t seem to be on the roadmap. Extensive redev of homepage would be required

1 Like

Well, is there any sort of workaround to be able to achieve this or something similar in the mean time?

What does this mean?

This will be shown in the parent category, which I don’t like/want.

You want to unlist the category description topics so that they aren’t listed?

Sure, let’s try it and see how it looks, how could do we do that?

Navigate to the topic. Click the wrench and choose unlisted.

1 Like

I guess this could work for now. Is there any way to hide this?

Create some topics in that category?

EDIT: Ooops. Sorry. I hadn’t realized that was the parent category. Sometimes, free advice is worth what you pay for it!

I just told you that the parent category won’t have any posts in it as I’m trying to replicate a category setup similar to what MyBB and others use. I don’t want the parent category to have any posts (if you read my first post, you’ll understand better.)

1 Like

Anyone got ideas on how to do this?

On my instance if I click on the parent category, it shows posts from the child categories, kind of like an overview.