Personal Message Bubbles

That would be possible as a theme but the purpose of this component is to help distinguish topic posts from private messages. If every post appeared in message bubbles that would defeat the purpose.

2 Likes

This spacing should be fixed now too. Please can you update the component and confirm?

2 Likes

It looks good, but anyone who may have chosen “Message” is likely now going to get a bit confused, because the :arrow_upper_left:   Reply button seems to have changed to :email:   Message (maybe a Discourse change?):

I think it’s related to a new change here:

I am so far struggling to think of text other than “to Message” to use as appended text, that would work for both “Reply” and “Message” buttons, but if I think of something I will add it here.

That’s a recent Discourse change - and one I wasn’t aware of. It makes sense as using the word Message does help distinguish it from a Topic reply.

I presume the change from ‘Reply’ to ‘Message’ on the button is something configurable under the Customise > Text settings? It would be useful to know what Text setting has changed on Meta to use the word ‘Message’ on the composer dialogue?

NB This component feature is simply a convenient way to append (or prepend) text. The text is added to both the topic ‘Reply’ button and the composer ‘Message’ button so you will need to take that into account of you use this component feature. I could change it so you can append text separately for each button, or we could remove this feature and advise on using the native ‘Customise > Text’ functionality, if users want to change the text.

PS I simply append the word ‘Privately’ to help distinguish that this is a private message as opposed to a forum topic reply. That ‘Reply Privately’ and ‘Message Privately’ still works - but is a bit redundant now on the message button.

2 Likes

Good idea; I was able to change the value of js.composer.create_pm (back?) to Reply and achieve the same functionality as before, although with the new envelope icon on the composer “send” button (which is fine). @Osama may know of more changes that impact this theme component that we haven’t unconvered yet, given this commit and potentially any future work in this area:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/c9923a3e3e9abd318140f77f06d6472ef28b262b

1 Like

That message count in the header is not part of this component. That is part of the core Discourse messaging functionality.

This component simple styles the message text to look like speech bubbles.

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 11.52.44 AM

Which Discourse version is this?

Whoops that’s it, my bad sorry. 2.7.0.beta6.

I assume you are using the latest version of the theme component?

If so I’m not seeing any error with this running the latest stable version of Discourse. Can anyone from @staff help answer if this is known issue due to a core update in beta6 affecting themes components?

Yes, TC is latest version. And still getting the alert in TC list on 2.7.0.beta7.

1 Like

Tried to add this theme and got this error-msg:

Tut uns leid, die Verwendung von #ember- oder .ember-view-CSS-Selektoren ist nicht zulässig, da diese zur Laufzeit dynamisch generiert werden und sich im Laufe der Zeit ändern werden, was schließlich zu defektem CSS führt. Probiere einen anderen Selektor.

So there’s something wrong with ember. Am using the current beta.

Yes I’ve found there has been an update to Discourse requiring a “use strict” on the latest Betas. This has broken a number of theme components. I’ll see if I can work through to fix it. It still works fine in the latest stable version of Discourse.

1 Like

Hi there. Have long enjoyed this TC. Wondering though, will it be deprecated in lieu of the new updates in 2.8.0?

2 Likes

I’ve had to remove it from my sites after updating to latest as it clashes now. But it will still work for those on older releases for quite some time.

@Rhidian - thank you, it has been a great help. The fact that it has been incorporated into Discourse Core is the highest praise!!!

3 Likes

oh does this mean when we update to the newest Discourse version we will not be able to have Personal Message Bubbles anymore? :cold_face:

No, not at all! It has been rolled out for everyone so that this theme component is no longer required.

2 Likes

ah, so that means we can de install the theme component and the message bubbles will continue to exist?

1 Like

Thanks @nathank. Yes I suspect there will be no need for this once it is core. A number of hosts are a few versions behind so we will keep it available for those. I haven’t had chance to play with the new core version yet so time will tell. There may always be scope to add some additional options over core if needed. That’s the beauty of Discourse themes :blush:

6 Likes

Congrats!

I can still see some ideas to use your awesome talent in customizing. I have a tampermonkey script a friend developed that would be great to get some help converting it to theme component. At Base one side it decorates/highlights the Op and Staff accounts in public. ie mod/Admin; I could see this also being handy with Category mods in there category beyond the sheild(Core it would wrap username in a bubble).

Also prior to mute users he had amhis own flavor but required to manually edit the script. The message was still present but hidden with a dropdown with there name vs the full mute we have now.

1 Like