Pick different icons for 'closed topic' and 'secure category'

Continuing the discussion from a topic in the Lounge:

Pulling this out to a public topic for follow-up.

10 Likes

Definitely please take this into account. I have already had to do this with a theme component so I cannot confuse them.

fa-user-lock is a good icon you could use?
Example below:

6 Likes

I agree on that. One of my clients made me hide the padlock icon on ā€œprivateā€ categories because it was confusing.

2 Likes

On an instance with mostly private categories, it can also be an eyesore. I removed all the padlocks from the private categories and instead placed an ā€˜eyeā€™ icon in front of the few public categories we have.

5 Likes

What would these symbols be? As I recall, I donā€™t think there are any clearly better alternatives from the last time this bike shed was painted @stephen ā€¦

6 Likes

Iā€™ve used the eye symbol in the past, and experimented with the open lock, but thereā€™s nothing wrong with just removing the icon all together. Itā€™s down to the community owners to emphasize the purpose and audience for each category, a padlock icon doesnā€™t achieve that really, it just indicates that the everyone group isnā€™t present on the category.

Many systems with ACLs donā€™t indicate the ACL visually on the object. File sharing services will indicate that an object is shared, but not the level of permissions associated. If I have access to a folder over a network share then I can see it, if I donā€™t have browse rights it just doesnā€™t appear. Even Exchange relies/relied on visibility to indicate whether the user has access.

Is the concern that a user wonā€™t realise the category has a limited number of watchers? In that sense I would be more worried about indicating which categories have a broader or public audience than less.

1 Like

Category Icons component uses fa-key and it even offers to replace padlock with key for private categories (and retains padlock for closed ones), but itā€™s not consistent as of yet.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/category-icons-component/104683/50?u=md-misko

fa-user-lock for private categories
fa-lock for closed topics

1 Like

This is one thing I customized at my Discourse instance in my previous job.

A closed topic is closed for everyone, and no-one has access to it, so the icon keeps being :lock:, aka Font Awesome

A secure category is closed for other people, but open for you, so the icon was :unlock:, aka Font Awesome

6 Likes

If we can decide on the bikeshed color in a way that doesnā€™t go on forever, Iā€™m fine with the change :wink:

5 Likes

I do like the idea of fa-user-lock for this.

5 Likes

Can we just confirm the intent of the symbol?

It is just ā€˜lacks the everyone permissionā€™? That seems to be the only time where it appears. Even categories secured to TL0 show a padlock.

2 Likes

Correct. It indicates that not everyone may be able to see it.

It still appears on login required forums (where the everyone permission is irrelevant) even if TL0 can see.

1 Like

Ok and if weā€™re using categories how regularly is that a factor?

Is it there still because thatā€™s how itā€™s always been? Does it influence posting?

Iā€™m just being clear it isnā€™t impacted by other site settings. As in on a login required forum, even if ā€œall usersā€ can see a topic, based on TL0 permissions, the padlock still appears due to the lack of the specific everyone permission.

Why? What is the difference between a padlock and a padlock with a user next to it? I donā€™t think this will aid comprehension at allā€¦

5 Likes

The only point of doing this is making it so people donā€™t mistake a topic in a secure category as being a closed topic. The icons are right next to each other! Iā€™ve had far too many double takes slowing me down while reading Meta recently.

Anything that changes the silhouette / visual weight / ā€œvisual hashā€, if you will, of the icon is acceptable to me (so :unlock: is not OK, still very close to a lock).

1 Like

If we are painting bikesheds hereā€¦ I would like an opinion from @Johani and @awesomerobot

Also ā€¦ my 2 cents, no eye being slashed by a knife please ā€¦ that is not on the table.

7 Likes

Awww no Luis BuƱuel fans in the house?! :eye:

2 Likes

Is it because it looks like the current lock icon :lock:, or because it looks like a padlock? On Font Awesome, the closed and open padlocks are a bit more distinctive from each other:

3 Likes