Pictures don't upload well into tables because of the straight bar symbol

(Mark Boyd) #1

Our forum uses tables to describe the function of digital synthesizer modules. In the first column, we use a picture. Because Discourse inserts a | between the file name and resolution, it breaks the link to the picture when using it in a column.

The solution is you have to delete the | symbol. Not a big deal, but also not intuitive for beginners.

Meter | Displays
---|---
![Meter-Pattern|108x108](upload://9DAOKRFuJI7XfTYXxm9fsalRgbM.png) | `Pattern`
Meter Displays
![Meter-Pattern 108x108](upload://9DAOKRFuJI7XfTYXxm9fsalRgbM.png)

vs.

Meter | Displays
---|---
![Meter-Pattern108x108](upload://9DAOKRFuJI7XfTYXxm9fsalRgbM.png) | `Pattern`
Meter Displays
Meter-Pattern108x108 Pattern

Thanks!

Create a table using markdown on your Discourse forum
(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #2

Looks like the standard escape character (\) works:

Meter | Displays
---|---
![Meter-Pattern\|108x108](upload://9DAOKRFuJI7XfTYXxm9fsalRgbM.png) | `Pattern`
Meter Displays
Meter-Pattern Pattern

(Mark Boyd) #3

Sure, but you can also just delete the | as well. I’m personally not super versed in code so I had to puzzle through this at first.

Perhaps it’s not worth changing, I just thought maybe no one was really using pictures in tables and no one had come across this before. Not a big deal, I made a note of it on a tutorial about tables on our forum.

Thanks!

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #4

But if you escape, you can actually resize the image:

Meter Displays
Meter-Pattern Pattern
Meter Displays
Meter-Pattern Pattern

(Mark Boyd) #5

Maybe if I get this right, if the picture doesn’t load, it would say “Meter-Pattern” with your \ solution and “Meter-Pattern108x108” if you did it by deleting the |?

(Mark Boyd) #6

Oooh, ok that’s great to know!

I will amend the advice on the forum to reflect this. Thanks a lot! I’m so psyched about the powers of this new forum. We were struggling on an old version of Vanilla that didn’t even have bold text. Yeesh.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Very interesting edge case. Also note that part specifying the image dimensions is not strictly required

![Meter-Pattern](upload://9DAOKRFuJI7XfTYXxm9fsalRgbM.png)
![Meter-Pattern|108x108](upload://9DAOKRFuJI7XfTYXxm9fsalRgbM.png)

… though if omitted, it will cause some bouncing around in the topic as the browser has to manually verify the image dimensions.

(Sam Saffron) #8

Agree, very interesting edge case. If we give up allowing , in title for images we can work around it but I wonder if this is a bug @Vitaly in the ordering of the table processing in the pipeline (maybe we should process images prior to tables)? (see OP)