Possible to disable topics at top-level category view?

Tried to search for this but as is so often the case, keywords are too broad.

We have a fairly structured forum we’re implementing with Discourse. It has 6 top level categories, with from 0 to 20 sub-categories in each. The trouble is that if a user simply clicks on the title of the category, they see ALL posts in all sub-categories, and I would prefer that they see only the sub-categories (I’ve disabled posting topics in the categories themselves).

Is there a way to disable seeing topics in a category view?

1 Like

There’s no setting for this, but you could hide the topic list in a theme using CSS. You’d want to target the specific category, for example a category named support:

body.category-support {
  #list-area {
    display: none;
  }
}

That paired with the category setting Show subcategory list above topics in this category should get what you’re looking for, if I’m understanding correctly.

1 Like

Aha… I actually didn’t even know about the show subcategory list options. Discourse has SO many settings it’s quite overwhelming. I think just putting the subcats above, will probably be good enough. But the CSS approach seems reasonable if we decide we really need to go that route. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.