Possible to insert post in a topic

Pretty much what the topic title says–is it possible to insert a post between two other existing posts in a topic? I’m sure it’s not possible for an unprivileged user, but how about for a moderator?

1 Like

New posts get added to the end of a topic. There is (mostly) no way to change that. (There are some plugins and/or theme components that contrive to, but you likely don’t want them for this purpose.)

Why do you need to do that?

1 Like

The topic in question is a how-to, the first post is how to install X software, the second is how to use it to perform a certain task. I was wanting to add a third (and possibly future ones), on how to use it to perform a different task–I’ve seen people put “reserved for future use” posts in threads like this, but I didn’t think to do that. The goal is to have the “how-to” information at the top of the topic, not scattered throughout a lengthy topic among all the discussion.

Not the end of the world, to be sure–the fairly obvious workaround is to edit the second post.

1 Like

Why doesn’t everything go in the first post? You can increase max post length as needed.

3 Likes

That’s another possibility. I was thinking that separating the different, but related, guides into separate posts was the most logical way to go, but there are certainly many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

1 Like

That was certainly a common thing in older forum software, but it doesn’t really makes sense in Discourse, as you can use What is a Wiki Post? and DiscoTOC - automatic table of contents.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.