What is a wiki post?
This very post is a wiki post!
A wiki post/admin wiki post is a special type of post that can be edited by any user on your forum!
How do I create (or remove) a wiki post?
To turn a regular post into a wiki post you usually need moderator/admin privileges.
However normal users may also make their post Wiki, provided their trust level is high enough (by default TL3). Admins can change the trust level required with the site setting
min trust to allow self wiki.
To create a wiki post just select the wrench icon
and then click the Make Wiki button
If a post is already a wiki, instead of the Make Wiki button, the Remove Wiki button will appear.
How can I recognize a wiki post from a regular post?
By default, new users at Trust Level 0 can not edit wiki posts. They will see only a green pencil icon at the top right of the wiki posts.
When users are able to edit the wiki posts, in addition to the pencil, they will notice that the Reply button has been de-emphasised in favor of the Edit button
Clicking on the pencil produces no effect unless the post has been modified.
In this case, the number of changes made since the creation of the wiki will also appear
clicking that icon, a user not enabled to create wiki posts will be able to see the revisions that have been made to the post:
a user enabled to create wiki posts will also see the Edit Wiki buttons:
admins and mods will see administration buttons that will allow them to go back previous revisions or hide revisions to non-staff users:
- Admins and mods can change the styling of a wiki post via CSS (see How to change the style of a Wiki post)
- Takes advantage of Discourse’s built in revisions.
- If two users are editing the post at the same time, the latest save becomes the latest revision, thus overwriting the contents of the previous save.
- You can make all new topics in a specific category wiki by default (only the first post).
- It is not a retroactive setting. If there are already existing topics within the category, they must be converted to wiki manually.
- Topics created in a different category and then moved to a category with the
Make new topics wikis by defaultsetting enabled will not be converted to wiki.
- Topics created in a category with the
Make new topics wikis by defaultsetting enabled and exported to another category will remain a wiki.
- Any post of a topic can be transformed manually into a wiki. It does not necessarily have to be the original post.
- (Automatic) Table of Contents
- Edit lock / Simultaneous editing