Post date can't be right clicked to copy link anymore

Ever since the share-post modal has been added, the post date link is no longer a link, and it can’t be right clicked to ‘Copy link address’ to share, instead requiring the use of the modal.

This breaks some fairly old workflow:

While, yes, the new modal is more obvious for people not aware of the old method, it requires me to move my mouse (or finger, on mobile, if long-pressing) more than the browser context menu would’ve, and it might be this accidentally got removed when implementing the new modal.

7 Likes

Hmm, would it not be more natural for the chain to be a link that you can right click and copy?

I wonder if there is a way we can make that work.

4 Likes

I did notice that right-clicking the datestamp at upper right is no longer behaving the way it used to… we may have regressed a little. I need to check on my desktop, I’m on the chromebook at the moment, but it’s that whole “link not behaving like a normal link” issue we see from time to time.

3 Likes

Oh … well the time stamp is super easy to fix, and we can introduce a test to ensure this will not regress.

Fiddling with the chain at the bottom of posts is very complicated, that would probably be a medium sized piece of work. We can skip for now.

Getting this assigned out, we will add an href to the link, we can get this fixed next week.

7 Likes

We recently refactored that modal and we missed that functionality. Sorry.

@nbianca can you add this to your list?

3 Likes

I added back the URL in this PR:

3 Likes

Seems there is a new fix. In the last few hours there is a strange behavior if you click the post date on mobile.

I took the screenshots here in mobile view, but I’m not able to get there on mobile anymore. So something seems wrong here.

3 Likes

I agree @nbianca, looks like the fix didn’t go as planned :sweat_smile:

The link shows but, at least on desktop, I can’t get the modal to show anymore.

3 Likes

Should be fixed via the just merged FIX: Href attribute for post-date link by pmusaraj · Pull Request #16471 · discourse/discourse · GitHub.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 47 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.