Post Install Can't complete email verification

I’ve installed Discourse on a new VPS. But I’m unable to complete verification and login.

I’ve been following along with
Troubleshooting email on a new Discourse install

The problem from what I can see seems to be Discourse not liking the SSL hostname for the mailserver. It’s configured to mail.posklip.co.za. As this is a shared server the server hostname will be different to the mail hostname. Does anyone know what Discourse is expecting when it raises this error? Should I configure Discourse with the main server nam

Some additional things I’ve checked so far

Mail Server Setup
My MailServer is configured and working in production as a shared hosting server. Dkim, SSL and SPF are setup. I’ve also included the new server IP in my SPF setup.

SSL Test (mail.posklip.co.za - TLS / STARTTLS Test · SSL-Tools)

Production Log

root@29:/var/discourse# tail shared/standalone/log/rails/production.log
  Rendering layouts/email_template.html.erb
  Rendered layouts/email_template.html.erb (Duration: 0.1ms | Allocations: 32)
Delivered mail 6b773c78-face-4a27-bfcb-86f8c47a0790@gesels.posklip.co.za (413.3ms)
Job exception: hostname "mail.posklip.co.za" does not match the server certificate

Rendering layouts/email_template.html.erb
  Rendered layouts/email_template.html.erb (Duration: 0.1ms | Allocations: 32)
Delivered mail 78e71b52-903e-4a55-a122-dde6d3ab87ad@gesels.posklip.co.za (366.5ms)
Job exception: hostname "mail.posklip.co.za" does not match the server certificate
1 Like

You need to install correct ssl certificate on your mail server.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=mail.posklip.co.za&hideResults=on

The currently install certificate on the server does not have mail.posklip.co.za as it’s alternate name

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=20.atservice.co.za&hideResults=on

1 Like

Easier: just configure your mail server as 20.atservice.co.za instead of mail.posklip.co.za

4 Likes

@RGJ Thanks! That solved the issue.

So for anyone else bumping into this if your mail server is on a Shared hosting server you need to use the hostname of the Shared hosting server and not your domains DNS name for your Mailserver.

2 Likes