Post Toolbar Options - Timestamp?

Hi,

Often I find users (myself included) returning to the same post and updating it with some new content, I would typically do something like this;

Update

Now I have discovered this etc etc…

As this can happen on multiple occasions for the same post, I thought it would be beneficial to be able to click a button on the post toolbar (bold, italic, underline etc) and have a TimeStamp inserted, there doesn’t appear to be an option for this at this time, nor was I able to discover any shortcut (by typing) to make it appear.

Potentially the output may look like;

blah blah blah

Update 21/10/2016 13:39

something new was discovered

Update 21/10/2016 13:41

something even newer was discovered here…

I fully appreciate this can be achieved manually, but a feature button to insert it for you would be, well, kinda time saving :slight_smile:

I should add, this would be a post CONTENT timestamp, not a timestamp used against the actual posting of the message as it were (I see there are lots of posts on here regarding that)

Things that are just “kinda sorta useful” tend to fall into plugin territory :wink: I do end up doing this type of update myself from time to time, but not nearly often enough that I feel like I’d save a significant amount of time by having a dedicated function for it.

4 Likes

There is a large sense of relief that it’s not only me :slight_smile:

Well, Santa will soon be on his way so I thought I’d put my requests in now, I have been good all year on occasion, after all! :slight_smile:

Add this to your Admin > Customize > CSS/HTML > </head>

<script type="text/discourse-plugin" version="0.4">
    api.onToolbarCreate(toolbar => {
      toolbar.addButton({
        id: "updated_button",
        group: "extras",
        icon: "clock-o",
        perform: e => e.addText("Updated " + new Date().toString())
      });
    });
</script>
9 Likes

Hi @cpradio, sorry for the delay responding.

Thank you for spending the time putting that together and sharing, appreciated. I don’t have the ability on the site to implement it (lowly moderator) but I will pass it over to those that do and see if they are willing.

Thanks again, really appreciated :slight_smile:

Kind regards

Rob

2 Likes

Just a quick question to re-open this if I may…

I spotted that when this was being used the time stamp was quite long, looking at the various options using JavaScript to shorten the date it seemed incredibly complex, from what I could tell the desired output would always be 21 characters long so went with a bit of a hacky way of doing this…

toolbar.addButton({
        perform: e => e.addText("_Updated " + new Date().toString().substring(0,21) + "_")
      });
    });
</script>

I then spotted that the hover text didn’t display a name correctly - so we have added this

title: "Updated Timestamp",

thus;

toolbar.addButton({
        title: "Updated Timestamp",
        perform: e => e.addText("_Updated " + new Date().toString().substring(0,21) + "_")
      });
    });
</script>

but the output in the hover text appears as [en.Updated Timestamp]

Anyway to remove the square brackets and the en. part?

Try this:

I18n.translations.en.js.updated_timestamp = "Updated Timestamp";
      toolbar.addButton({
        title: "updated_timestamp",
      });
    });
</script>
5 Likes

wow - thanks for such a prompt response! Really appreciated…

I worked out (term used very loosely) the title: part from looking at the page source for the other icons, but wouldn’t have guessed the other line you’ve added - I will forward this on to our admins and see if they can update this for me.

Thank you so much - minor thing really, but will look so much better when I use it! (OCD = True) :smiley:

Yeah, no worries. One thing to help explain it, the title attribute is looking for a translation entry with that key. So I simply created a key and assigned it the verbiage you wanted and then specified that key in the title attribute. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t even realise that there were language translations going on! Can’t wait to see this finished, it’s been really handy when updating existing posts rather than creating multiple replies :slight_smile:

1 Like