Posting without bumping topic?

Sometimes I want to write “Good job”, “Great you found the solution” or something that is relevant to all the people in the thread and especially the last poster, but not relevant for all the people in the forum in general.

Is there a way to post something without bumping the whole topic to the top?

There isn’t a way to post without bumping the topic. For the cases you describe, maybe you could just use the ‘like’ button?

8 Likes

Liking is much less part of a “conversation”.

The usecase I have here is often >10 post ping pong debugging a problem, suggestion solutions etc. Only reacting with a like feels… insufficient.

(Of course I totally get that this is a special use case and maybe also not the intended way to use Discourse. Was still hoping this was possible)

1 Like

You could send them a personalized message.

I think the members getting something like
“Hi memberABC
Thanks for contributing to the discussion, blah, blah schmooze”
would make them feel appreciated.

3 Likes

You can edit the timestamp (so it drops back down the feed) for a manual workaround.

Is it possible to give moderators the ability to edit timestamps in order to “unbump” topics?

Usecase:

I’m editing the “this topic was closed”-post of an old topic to add a link to a more recent topic (so people who find the old topic through the search function know where to go) but don’t want the old topic to get bumped.
This happens quite a lot and I can’t always ask an admin to jump in. Usually I just end up not editing the post and hope people find a recent topic by themselves.

3 Likes

I can’t think of a solid reason why not. @erlend_sh – thoughts?

See also:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/possible-to-edit-timestamp-of-comment-s/73493?u=mcwumbly

2 Likes

There could be a lot of subtle complexity to this so it requires dev input. @tgxworld did you have a cursory look at how difficult this would be to do?

Seems to me like the OP’s idea of having a “do not bump” checkbox might be easier to implement, but even that is a tough sell as far as prioritization goes.

Usually bumping is not nearly as disruptive as one would think. We’ve gotten pretty good at glancing over things we don’t care about :wink:

5 Likes

The server side logic has already been implemented in the past

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/486016acea0c124fed73f87e0e14679ecac850c8/lib/post_creator.rb#L26

Difficulty on the client side will depend on where we expose the “do no bump” settings.

5 Likes

I’m interested in this feature for a different use case. Sometimes I edit people’s topics to change their category, add tags, etc. If no one has replied yet, this bumps the topic, which I dislike as there’s no new information essentially.

3 Likes

Probably the composer cog:

“Hide details” and “Blur spoiler” are probably even more obscure use cases than “do not bump”.

4 Likes

We’ve had issues with this on our forum as well WRT moderation. There are a number of things we want to do that are blocked because we don’t want to spam Latest:

• Go through bug reports and close all solved issues that never previously closed
  • Mass-fix miscategorization of feature requests / bug reports when we still allowed users to post in top-level category
  • Add solutions to a bunch of our old Q/A posts to improve value of search
9 Likes

I do support this as a staff option.

8 Likes

Hello @codinghorror, has this feature been implemented yet?

In another use case, I think it’d be best to have a topic setting where a ‘do not bump’ feature can be added for Admins and moderators.

For instance, on my community, I move interesting topics I believe users would find interesting by tagging them featured. At the same time, I wouldn’t want every new post added to a featured topic to bump that topic and order it at the top. E.g: a Chelsea vs Tottenham thread that had a featured tag in December when the match was played (and relevant) would be irrelevant when someone responds or adds another post to that topic today; thereby bringing it to the top of the featured tags/threads. I hope you get this.

This is now implemented as a staff-only feature:

2 Likes

See above, you are in luck, feature already exists! :wink:

2 Likes

Awwww. This is lovely! Thanks for letting me know! :wink:

1 Like