Personal message responses should not have a minimum length

I sometimes get private messages from people who just want to say hi or say thanks. It’s annoying that “Thanks!” is too short for responses to private messages.

4 Likes

This can be changed via the min personal message post length site setting I believe

6 Likes

The post length requirement for PMs can be configured by the site admin, the setting is called min personal message post length and by default it’s a little shorter than the minimum public post length requirement.

Sometimes people find short messages like “Thanks!” annoying (did this need to be a message at all? maybe the like button is enough!), so the default is to require someone to put a little effort into their message before sending it to someone.

7 Likes

Okay thanks, I’ll ask the people who manage the site in question.

This is also why I specified responses only. I think the minimum length is very reasonable for the first message in a PM thread.

5 Likes

I’ve ran into the same thing. I’m surprised that this setting even exists, and that it has a default > 0. This is IMHO an unpleasant default behavior, and puts burden on site admins to fix it.

I understand the desire to limit “noise” in a public discussion, but 1:1 conversations are completely different. It’s fine to have a limit on the first message to avoid low-effort “hi”, but not for replies. If someone has sent the first message they’ve already given an implicit permission to receive a reply.

I don’t think the heart button is a sufficient substitute. It doesn’t feel like a proper reply to me. It is a bit ambiguous (is it merely an acknowledgement, or did I love the message?). I want to reply with a manually typed text, even if short, because it feels more appropriate and personal than just pressing a button.

1 Like