Problem setting up on EC2, due to conection issue

Hi, I feel really stupid because this should be obvious, but I can not get the beginner docker install to work on a AWS t2.medium instance running ubuntu 18.04 AMI.

The error I keep getting when running ./discourse-setup is

Status: Downloaded newer image for discourse/base:2.0.20200220-2221

app was not started !

./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.

Found 4GB of memory and 2 physical CPU cores

setting db_shared_buffers = 1024MB

setting UNICORN_WORKERS = 4

containers/app.yml memory parameters updated.

Hostname for your Discourse? [discourse.example.com]: discuss.postera.ai

Checking your domain name . . .

WARNING:: This server does not appear to be accessible at discuss.postera.ai:443.

A connection to http://discuss.postera.ai (port 80) also fails.

This suggests that discuss.postera.ai resolves to the wrong IP address

or that traffic is not being routed to your server.

Google: "open ports YOUR CLOUD SERVICE" for information for resolving this problem.

I am not sure if the issue is with app was not started or because the server isnt accessible

I have opened ports 80 and 443 to all traffic and I have added an A record pointing to the public IPv4. Running dig and host on my local machine seem to indicate that this DNS mapping is ok.

The instance is in the public subnet of a VPC. I am not running behind a load balancer (anymore, I couldn’t get that to work and thought it was an nginx issue…).

Thank you for your help

Does the security group of the EC2 instance allow inbound connection for anywhere on the 80 and 443 ports?

6 Likes

I have them open to “anywhere” and the outbound rules are set to “All”, so I suspect that isn’t the issue

Hi guys, so indeed it was a stupid fault on my part. I forgot to chage the hostname on ubuntu. Good to remember when not using DigitalOcean where you can just enter the name.

1 Like

I can’t see how the hostname of the server could impact accessing an FQDN inside a container. That’s really peculiar.

3 Likes