Problem with google auth using Chrome on iPad?

I tried to create an account on stonehearth and another site today with google. On both sites, after I authenticated I got a screen with

Authentication is complete. Close this window to continue.

https://discourse.stonehearth.net/auth/google_oauth2/callback was the URL.

I had accounts on neither site, so perhaps that’s related. I tried to replicate on try, but chose to create an account rather than try to log in without one, and that worked just fine.

@eviltrout I wonder if this is somehow related to your recent fix.

@pfaffman did you create the account on your mobile phone or on a desktop? What browser are you using?

1 Like

Chrome on iOS iPad mini, hence the lack of better description.

@eviltrout this could be “full screen” login, cause really we should be using that on iPad (if we are now we should anyway)

It’s an iPad mini, which I think few people use. I think that it sometimes gets treated as a desktop and sometimes a mobile, since it’s between those sizes.

When I returned to stonehearth on desktop, it properly redirected to get me to create the account.

iPad mini and iPad maxi should always use full screen for auth, it just don’t work right on iOS otherwise.

Do you know what your user agent is? If it’s iOS it should match /iPad|iPhone|iPod/ and get the full screen login. I’m not sure what chrome uses but maybe it thinks you’re a desktop.

1 Like
Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 10_3_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/602.1.50 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/58.0.3029.113 Mobile/14E304 Safari/602.1

In that case I have no idea why you wouldn’t get the full screen login every time. Did you force it into desktop mode somehow?

edit: I did see the detection line makes sure window.MSStream is not present. Maybe Chrome on iOS fills that in?

Chrome on iOS with Request Desktop Site feature omits iPad from the user agent.

2 Likes

I didn’t request desktop site.

I think this is not a very popular device. Would you like me do do anything else to help debug?

I think the problem exists only when you try to log in wth google and don’t already have an account.

This is totally fixed now, we stopped with all the popup windows for auth

4 Likes