Production.log does not exist

When i try and access my production.log file, using the following commands:

cd /var/discourse
tail shared/standalone/log/rails/production.log

tail: cannot open ‘shared/standalone/log/rails/production.log’ for reading: No such file or directory is returned form the command line.

Further, when i list contents in the shared directory, it comes up empty. Is there something wrong with the discourse i downloaded.

Side note, does the DISCOURSE_HOSTNAME: ‘discourse.example.com’ have to have discourse. at the front of the subdomain url. or is something like talk.example.com acceptable.

Thanks

I think something is wrong with your install, because that command works fine for me

root@endoffice-a:~# cd /var/discourse
root@endoffice-a:/var/discourse# tail shared/standalone/log/rails/production.log
  Rendered application/_header.html.erb (0.1ms)
  Rendered common/_discourse_javascript.html.erb (0.1ms)
Completed 200 OK in 66ms (Views: 4.4ms | ActiveRecord: 15.2ms)
Started GET "/t/why-cant-programmers-program/612?page=10" for 84.201.133.46 at 2018-08-04 01:39:07 +0000
Processing by TopicsController#show as */*
  Parameters: {"page"=>"10", "slug"=>"why-cant-programmers-program", "topic_id"=>"612"}
  Rendering topics/show.html.erb within layouts/crawler
  Rendered topics/show.html.erb within layouts/crawler (2.3ms)
  Rendered layouts/_head.html.erb (0.2ms)
Completed 200 OK in 99ms (Views: 3.5ms | ActiveRecord: 20.2ms)
root@endoffice-a:/var/discourse#

What is your container config? (app.yml) - scrub out passwords.

As in remove the passwords?

I reinstalled and it still does not work

root@ubuntu-s-1vcpu-1gb-sfo2-01:/# cd /var/discourse
root@ubuntu-s-1vcpu-1gb-sfo2-01:/var/discourse# ls
bin   containers        discourse-setup  launcher   samples  shared     Vagrantfile
cids  discourse-doctor  image            README.md  scripts  templates
root@ubuntu-s-1vcpu-1gb-sfo2-01:/var/discourse# tail shared/standalone/log/rails/production.log
tail: cannot open 'shared/standalone/log/rails/production.log' for reading: No such file or directory
root@ubuntu-s-1vcpu-1gb-sfo2-01:/var/discourse# cd shared
root@ubuntu-s-1vcpu-1gb-sfo2-01:/var/discourse/shared# ls

The launcher most likely failed early in the deploy/rebuild process. Try again and look for warnings or errors near the end. A successful installation should generate several pages of text while it’s rebuilding.

You should also check if it was able to make any docker containers with “docker ps -a” … it could be that there is a problem with docker (incompatible file systems for instance, discourse is set up to use overlayfs so you should put /var/discourse on a ext4 filesystem - Use the OverlayFS storage driver | Docker Documentation)

I don’t think Sam meant to remove them from app.yml and rebuild. But to redact them (and any other sensitive information) before posting its contents here.

Resolved. Was an issue with my SMTP password. I used my own password instead of the default one

1 Like