Quality of French Translations

Je pensais plutôt aux attentes des particuliers, en contexte non-professionnel. Est-il courant pour vous de voir des logiciels utiliser “mail” plutôt que courriel, “uploader” plutôt que téléverser, etc. ?

Merci ! Je connaissais le Termium que j’aime beaucoup, j’ajoute le GDT à mes favoris :star:

1 Like

Cela dépend des milieux. Mais disons que courriel est dominant, les horreurs comme “mél” n’existent pas mais on peut voir e-mail de temps à autre.

Le mot “pourriel” a bien remplacé spam.

Si télécharger est courant, le terme téléverser est pratiquement absent. Les gens vont préférer des termes connexes: mettre en ligne, publier.

3 Likes

Not sure if it is the right place to mention this issue: typo in French translation

I am the owner of a French-speaking community we host on Discourse.

One of our members sent me this screenshot:

The last sentence should be:

Ce message apparaîtra uniquement pour vos 2 premiers messages.

6 Likes

Thank you for reporting this problem, JP. I have reworked this message, it should be made available in a future release of Discourse in a few days — 13 days in the worse case scenario, if I’m not mistaken.

For the technical record:
I’ve taken a look at this string ; in fact two different ones are affected : education.new-topic and education.new-reply. These was a slight issue for me here as the problematic substring includes the variable %{education_posts_text} (which is defined in education.reply-count). In order to make the whole thing work, I’ve had to make these three strings a bit divergent from their original English counterpart, therefore I would humbly ask that developers avoid reusing education.reply-count except in very similarly structured sentences.

I know this isn’t ideal; I’ll be happy to help if someone wishes to restructure things in a more rational manner.

This change was done, but the translation agency changed it back to “toutes les”.

1 Like

Sujet en une?

I don’t know but secrète is missing its accent.

1 Like

@zogstrip Is this something we need to fix / mention to the translator?

Short answer: I agree that it should be reverted to “catégories” and “étiquettes”.

The way I see it, it should either be “catégories” and “étiquettes”, or “voir toutes les catégories” and “voir toutes les étiquettes”. The middle-ground provides no additional information that would make things easier to grasp for French-speaking users. In fact, might even be slightly more confusing to some. Given that the Discourse UI in general is geared toward short strings and does not systematically include verbs as can be seen in other software, I would favor the former, shorter option.

2 Likes

I agree but I must say that I not very found of having on the same line the same word to do two different things (categories), even with clear distinct visuals, it has been perceived as confusing by my least seasoned users.

Note that I think we should also go with Catégories and Etiquettes

Étiquettes !

(yes I’ve just discovered how to make an É, on windows: alt + 144 :sweat_smile: )

1 Like

Not a big fan of accents on capital letters but, I wouldn’t mind, and we should do it anyways.

https://www.projet-voltaire.fr/culture-generale/accent-majuscules-capitales/#:~:text=Il%20est%20désormais%20recommandé%20d,accent%20a%20pleine%20valeur%20orthographique.

The Dupond-Moretti case is quite funny for sure.

4 Likes

yeah that one :sweat_smile:
DUPONT-MORETTI A LA BARRE !

4 Likes

You can combine agrave with any uppercase but accentuated acute is indeed difficult to type:

• I use a Vietnamese IME on my pro Windows PC
  • I use Caps-lock, é (or any other accentuated letter) on my personal Linux PC (easy native solution)
  • You can also type in Word (auto fix accents) then copy paste
  • Or, yes, that Alt+xxx on Windows :confused:
  • Or direct access with a BÉPO keyboard! (like Linux solution)
1 Like

A few questions.

Is “personal message” the official Discourse expression for what other messaging software often calls “private message”?
Were they officially called “direct message” at some point?

Or was I confused because I frequent a French discourse where personal messages are called “message direct” and I subsequently called them “direct message” on meta for a long time?

Anyway, why are they called “message direct” instead of “message personnel” in French? Just wondering. the different terms used between English and French just messed up a bit in my brain :sweat_smile:, though the translation may be better as “message direct”, I don’t know anything about translation methods and standards.

3 Likes

I personally think both “direct” and “personal” are equivalent. Personal as the advantage that the acronym is PM (or MP in :fr:) which is very common.

What we don’t want however is call them “private” since they aren’t (because they can be read by admins).

4 Likes

Sorry for being off-topic, but since there are a lot of French people here this information may interest some. of you.

I’ve been using this layout for years and I absolutely love it. I couldn’t be happy on a computer without it:
http://www.dicomoche.net/kbdfrac.htm

alt gr+key to write the red characters. Doesn’t remove any character from the standard AZERTY layout.

(note the available æ, Æ, œ, and Œ that led me to create this topic Suggestion of a slight improvement regarding French search processing ("œ" and "æ" special characters) - #8)

I also used the Microsoft keyboard layout creator (a quite fantastic tool) to change a few things on my layout.

For example, if I do alt gr + <, it now writes the character. Not useful on Discourse since it automatically converts more than two dots in this character, but useful in any text input that doesn’t do it (so, the vast majority).

2 Likes

J’ai constaté que les boutons de login Twitter et Google n’étaient pas traduits en français (“Sign in with XXX”).

Pourtant, sur crowdin, des traductions (pas toujours identiques d’ailleurs…) avaient été proposées il y a un mois mais n’étaient pas toujours incluses.

J’ai refait des propositions normalisées (tous les boutons de connexions commencent par “Se connecter avec XXX”.

Y a quelque chose de spécial à faire pour que ce soit inclus dans les prochaines releases de Discourse ?

Are you sure? The translations for those strings are included since 2022-04-18T22:00:00Z.

You’re right: I didn’t rebuild my forum since April, 18th.

I just rebuilt my French forum where I didn’t customize any of those texts and it shows this:

You can see it here: https://forum.monocycle.info/login

So other buttons need a translation.

Also, there is inconsistency in English as well. Sometimes “Login with”, sometimes “Sign in with”:

https://meta.discourse.org/login

So at first, I’d suggest a small change here… :smile:

As for the French version, there is inconsistency too on Crowdin: Sometimes “Se connecter avec” or “Connectez-vous avec”.

I’d favor “Se connecter avec” as the string is shorter and apart from that, it’s just… A personal preference :smile:, and both use two lines in the button, as seen on my first Screenshot.
We could use “Connexion avec”, it will make all the button content on one line, except for Facebook and Discord… :man_shrugging:

4 Likes